What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Quality of Rush Remastered CDs? (1 Viewer)

Tim Fennell

Stunt Coordinator
I saw ELP when they toured with the orchestra in 1978 or so. In fact the single live album was recorded at the Olympic stadium in Montreal where I saw them...

Anyway, I remember that they had three 24 channel mixing
boards. I think that the band used one, the orchestra the other then they were combined using the third.

The sound was the best I'd ever heard at an outdoor show.

728x90

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Re comments earlier in this thread (particularly Kirk's post #8 and Jan's post #19) about the band's (seeming lack of) technical savvy as far as new consumer media formats are concerned and the overall (in some opinions, poor) sound quality of Rush's discography: I understand--and to some limited extent agree with--the criticisms (for instance, although I read that technical audio problems prevented it, I wish that Different Stages had been a DVD-V release . . . instead of reflecting Neil's [then] infatuation with CD-ROM technology via "Enhanced CD" inclusion of those ClusterWorks Stupa patterns . . . I'm sure if Neil found them interesting, they very well are [five years later, I have yet to play with them very much] . . . but that's not something I'd prefer over having a Different Stages DVD-V release at least as sophisticated as Metallica's Cunning Stunts).

Having said that however, I feel compelled to say that I think there are some fine recordings in Rush's catalog. Moving Pictures, like Synchronicity, is a terrific early digital rock recording (Telarc beat everybody to the punch back in 1978). Also, personally, I'm fond of Stephen W. Tayler's work. Although Presto is a little bright and bass-light (easily correctable with a little judicious eq), with Roll the Bones he corrects the issues I had with Presto and gives us a damn fine rock recording, IMO one of the best in the Rush catalog.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I just looked at the Chronicles DVD and at least in the videos, Geddy plays a Ric in the studio on Tom Sawyer, a Ric on the live version of Red Barchetta and the Fender on the studio version of Limelight. Whether these are the same basses used on the actual recordings is another thing.

I love all of Geddy's bass sounds except the Steinberger on G/P. It has none of the character of the others, like the fat, organic, piercing tone of the Ric, the smooth, round tone of the Fender or the less low end but incredibly poppy punch of the Wal.

And Rob, the bass sound on Counterparts IS fantastic. It's kinda perfect really. Not too punchy or too flabby, but still penetrating enough. I really like the firm, broad production of Counterparts as a whole. Nothing can beat Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures for THE Rush sound, though.

Funny enough, Presto is one of my fav Rush albums, both musically and production wise. I know it's lean in the low end and rather bright, but it's the perfect combo of guitar/bass and keyboards for a Rush album. Though this may just be nostalgia talking, since Presto came out when I first started getting into them.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I always attributed the relatively weak sound of Geddy's bass on G/P to the overall choices they were making in production and mixing. It seems like they were focusing almost entirely on keys, vocals, and high end.

I feel the sound mix improved dramatically with Hold Your Fire, where they found a nice balance.

Presto is an underrated album, IMO.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Grace Under Pressure was an aptly titled album. The band were going through a lot of difficulties at that time. I like the album - at least the first half of it, but the last four songs are kind of ehh..

I love Presto. I think Rupert Hine's production was a bit on the thin side, but some of those songs are great and I think it has less weak tracks than some of the later records (really only Superconductor and Anagram). Show Don't Tell - jeez the bass work on that song is freckin' wonderful.

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator
Brian L wrote:

It's a Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI, and, as an owner of one, it is the Swiss Army Knife of stomp boxes. Geddy's endorsement was for the rackmount version of the SABDDI.

If you saw him on the VT tour, he had no cabs, but 3 clothes dryers. They took his signal from the SARBI and went direct to the mains. Fat sound. Tasty stuff!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Gwon.

As a gear freak, I always peruse the set-up when I see a band live. Thought those close dryers were pretty cool. They even had the roadies feeding quarters when they stopped!

Still wish he would occasionally bring out the Ric though!

BGL

Real Name
Devin Griffin
I hope it's okay to revive a 12 year old thread on this site :P.

Anyway, I'm a HUGE Rush fan. For someone my age (I'll be 19 on July 1st), I'm probably among the most rabid Rush fans you'll find. I own many versions of the band's catalog on CD; a mixture of original 80's US and West German discs (they're mostly the same), the original 80's Canadian Anthems, a few early Japanese CD's on the Epic label, the MFSL's, half of the 1997 remasters, the Sector boxes, and the Audio Fidelity discs. I like them all, but the '97's are the worst IMO. They sound incredibly shrill and dull at the same time, and there's too much dynamic compression to my ears. They also lack bass, which makes them very artificial-sounding. The Sectors are an improvement since they have very vinyl-like EQ, but the compression still remains. With the pre-1997 and audiophile label CD's, it's pretty much a case by case basis. However, there are new hi-res versions in 24/96 and 24/192 (not the Sectors) that beat just about every CD that I own. I suggest that you buy the 2015 hi-res versions if you absolutely love the band. If you're a casual fan, then get anything else except for the '97 remasters (even though they're dirt cheap these days.) For a more in-depth discussion and for more of my comments (just use F3 and search for Diablo Griffin), then check out these links:

The Rush CD Mastering Thread (Part 2) - Part 1 is pretty outdated, so I didn't link it.

Rush - new 2015 vinyl and Hi-Res Reissues Thread (Part 1) - Rush through A Farewell to Kings

Rush - new 2015 vinyl and Hi-Res Reissues Thread (Part 2)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've heard nothing but raves for the remasters that have been coming out this year. I plan to get some of them eventually, especially the live discs. Should sound great at 192/24 on my Pono player eh!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks