1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Pumping Iron on DVD -- when?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brian Harnish, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Since I chucked my VCR a few years ago, I haven't been able to really watch any VHS tapes (which really isn't much of a loss). Anyways, I see on Amazon.com an entry for Pumping Iron (the bodybuilding documentary from 1976 w/Arnold Schwarzenegger) on DVD but there isn't a release date yet for it.

Does anyone know exactly when the DVD release of Pumping Iron will be out?

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Supposed to be this year - not sure what quarter.

3. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    funny, I just read something about Arnie having hired some consultants to advise on a 2006 gubernatorial run, and one of the things he did in the early 90s in laying groundwork was to buy the rights to Pumping Iron (for about US$1.5M) to control it, since it contains footage of him admitting to smoking marijuana and to not attending his father's funeral, both of which I suppose are not exactly very complimentary, but the article also noted that there are lots of video copies out there already.

so has an actual DVD release been announced, or are these rumours?

4. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Yee-Ming -- Well, there's an official entry for the DVD on Amazon.com (just no release date set for it yet).

5. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

This was on HBO recently. I thought the worst part was him comparing weight lifting to having an 'orgasm' (not his word). Over and over again.

6. Stephen_Ri

Stephen_Ri Stunt Coordinator

I don't know about the DVD release date, but I suspect it'll be the special edition of Pumping Iron that was done for I believe Showtime several months ago. I missed it, but it was supposed tobe pretty good. I watched the original recently, but I didn't notice the marijuana comments. I think the thing about his father's funeral haunts him still, though I don't remember exactly what he wrote about it in his autobiography.

7. Stephen_Ri

Stephen_Ri Stunt Coordinator

Yea Mark, the "pump". It is satisfying, but I think Arnold exaggerates, even with the steroids a pump isn't that good.

8. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

IIRC, Arnie said that he wanted the rights so he could release it uncensored and didn't want any of his non-complimentary remarks/habits to be cut.