What's new

PTV3000 to VGA on projector (1 Viewer)

GloriaDTavares

Auditioning
Real Name
Gloria Tavares
Hello all, my wife is a teacher. She has, up until this point, used her Windows 8 laptop with an HDMI-to-VGA converter (http://www.frys.com/product/7607837?...AIN_RSLT_PG)to connect to her classroom projector. She doesn't like how much moving around the laptop incurs for fear of dropping or damaging it in some way. The behavior of plugging her laptop's HDMI->adapter->VGA input on the projector was that the video hardware detected a low-res output and downgraded her laptop screen to 1024x768, which is apparently what the adaptor presents itself as.

We bought a Surface Pro and the PTV3000 with the intention of using WiDi, but then we found out that the WiFi chipset was a Marvell chipset, not an Intel or Broadcom. So we couldn't do WiDi, but research showed that it should be able to do Miracast with no problem.

The first thing I did was update the firmware on the PTV3000 to latest 2.4.26. The second thing I did was update the Surface Pro from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. The third thing I did was apply all Windows updates.

At this point, Miracast worked just fine from the Surface Pro to the PTV3000 connected to my Samsung TV (HDMI input) at 1080p. It was such high resolution and the Surface Pro display was so small, that it was difficult to read. Not a bad problem to have.

My wife took it to her classroom and connected it as such:
Surface Pro (miracast) ==> PTV3000->VGA_Adapter->Projector
When we select Project, and then the Push2TV device, it connects properly and scales the screen size down to 1024x768. But no output ever appears on the VGA device. It does this when connected to her projector (1024x768) and to an old LCD monitor I have here (again 1024x768).

Observations:
1) The PTV3000 can communicate enough with the HDMI->VGA adapter to figure out it needs to scale the resolution down to 1024x768 and it tells the Surface Pro to scale it down.
2) When miracast projecting with a duplicated screen, if I unplug the VGA cable from the HDMI->VGA adapter, the miracast'd 1024x768 resolution on the Surface Pro pops back up to 1920x1080, which tells me that the communication from the SurfacePro->PTV3000->VGA_Adapter is mostly functional.
3) When I unplug the monitor from the VGA_Adapter, the monitor pops up with a "going into sleep mode" message, meaning that it can detect that it *was* plugged into something and got unplugged.

I strongly suspect the issue is that the HDMI->VGA Adapter is insufficiently emulating a VGA device when it converts the video. I have tested it on two different VGA devices and both act as if something is connected but just has no output. As stated above, the HDMI->VGA adapter does work properly when I connect it directly from an HDMI output on a laptop to the same projector.

Has anybody ever successfully used the PTV3000 with something that will convert from its HDMI output to a VGA device? I have no problem buying the correct part if I know one will be recognized by the PTV3000 and interoperate properly.
buy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks