What's new

Pre-Order Psycho (1960) 60th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Someone tell me how they used the other link because it was a dead end for me. And still no reply to my e-mail.
I went to the front page of the uphe website, opened the drop down, chose sign up, did so, and then used the link in the twitter post and it let me in to fill out the appropriate information.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Agreed. This won’t be cheap for them; the cost of authoring new discs, replication, and replacement could eat up a significant chunk of the profits the disc was expected to generate.
I sincerely hope that any financial losses to Universal will be at its minimal and not too defeating. Indeed, at the onset, this was problematic and disappointing for us all; but, within a matter of days, Universal took full accountability and has stepped up to the plate. To my mind, this is not only good business but it is also honorable.

BTW, my hat goes off to Universal and their restoration division. In this time of pandemic, 2020 has actually been quite an amazing year of 4K/UHD perfections; inclusive of 4 Hitchcocks, Jaws and Spartacus. No problems here, folks. None whatsoever.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It does. The email mentioned replacements for UHD and BD so I would assume they’re correcting both. The BD version is likely to be the better seller.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I noticed that Target has some blu-ray "Halloween/Horror" movies in slipcases and the "new" version was part of that group. In-Store the price was $7.50 USD

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
No way "Psycho" deserved an "R" then, and it doesn't deserve it now. It's "PG-13" all the way...

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want my kids to see a naked woman brutally stabbed to death in the shower. But hey, that's just me. And yes, before you say it :D, kids see much worse today but there are still a few parents monitoring what they're kids watch. I didn't see Psycho when it was first released because my parents refused to let me see it yet my cousin's parents let him go ....... I felt left out and eventually saw Psycho when I was 16 on the lower half of a double bill.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want my kids to see a naked woman brutally stabbed to death in the shower. But hey, that's just me. And yes, before you say it :D, kids see much worse today but there are still a few parents monitoring what they're kids watch.

My point is that by the standards of what the MPAA qualifies as "PG-13" or "R", "Psycho" is much closer to "PG-13".

My comments have zero to do with permissive parents. It's what has been classified under the MPAA system, and there's simply too little graphic material in "Psycho" for it to be "R".

Honestly, there are broadcast network TV shows on today with much more graphic content than anything we see in "Psycho"...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wouldn’t let my infant children watch Psycho, but I also recognize that it’s not an “R” by the current MPAA standards and depending on my kids maturity level and interest, I doubt I’d make them wait to be 17 to watch the movie if they wanted to see it. I honestly feel something like Rope might be more sinister. At least Norman Bates feels bad about what his mother has done :D

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
This is total speculation, but Psycho got its "R" rating in 1984, the same year "PG-13" was created. Not sure which one came first in the year, but there was a lot of discussion around that time about the level of violence in "PG" films, so maybe they erred on the side of caution, so-to-speak (it had gotten an "M" in the late 60s).

Still, despite what you see or don't see, the visceral impact of the shower scene is still pretty strong, so at that particular time, it might have seemed a little much for a PG.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Still, despite what you see or don't see, the visceral impact of the shower scene is still pretty strong, so at that particular time, it might have seemed a little much for a PG.

Many of the "'Psycho' deserved an 'R' because it's terrifying" people have used that rationalization, but it ignores the fact that plenty of "G" movies are terrifying!

Cripes, I'm 53 and I still get more disturbed by the Lampwick/Donkey scene in "Pinocchio" than I do anything in "Psycho"!

And how many kids were traumatized by the death of Bambi's mother - which you don't even see?

Disturbing material doesn't have to be graphic, but MPAA ratings are almost uniformly based on the level of nudity or actual violence we see, not that's implied.

As I mentioned, there are primetime network TV shows much more graphic than "Psycho"!

Oh, one point of clarification: not arguing with your POV. If "Psycho" was rated before "PG-13" existed but during the furor, I can see why they'd think "PG" was insufficient for the film.

Granted, this is the same MPAA that gave the more violent/graphic "Jaws" a "PG" 9 years earlier, but 1984 was an era where people were in more of a tizzy about this kind of stuff than in the "anything goes" mid-70s.

After all, 1984 is also when Tipper Gore and company got so upset about "offensive" content in pop songs, so it's clear there was more of a cultural push for the need to "protect the kids" in 1984 than in 1975, so I can see why MPAA may've gone the cautious route with "Psycho" in 1984.

What I don't get is all the people here who claim it'd still qualify as an "R" right now!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Many of the "'Psycho' deserved an 'R' because it's terrifying" people have used that rationalization, but it ignores the fact that plenty of "G" movies are terrifying!

Cripes, I'm 53 and I still get more disturbed by the Lampwick/Donkey scene in "Pinocchio" than I do anything in "Psycho"!

And how many kids were traumatized by the death of Bambi's mother - which you don't even see?

Disturbing material doesn't have to be graphic, but MPAA ratings are almost uniformly based on the level of nudity or actual violence we see, not that's implied.

As I mentioned, there are primetime network TV shows much more graphic than "Psycho"!
I still have nightmares about Bambi's mother ... :blink:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks