What's new

Pre-Order Psycho (1960) 60th Anniversary (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
He also says this new 4k disc is not a new scan. It will be interesting to see if that's accurate.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That’s probably true. Universal scanned a bunch of films in 4K at the beginning and middle of the decade and those 4K scans have been the basis of both Blu-rays and 4K DCPs for the repertory market. A lot of their new catalog 4K releases are coming from those same masters. Jaws is another example.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
That’s probably true. Universal scanned a bunch of films in 4K at the beginning and middle of the decade and those 4K scans have been the basis of both Blu-rays and 4K DCPs for the repertory market. A lot of their new catalog 4K releases are coming from those same masters. Jaws is another example.

I wonder if the uncut Psycho would affect this?

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Just a heads up: I just checked my Amazon pre-order and the price is now listed as $64!!!
Correction: That's the price for the 4k COLLECTION. Apologies. I tried to delete my own post but coudn't figure out how to do it.

Doh!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Correction: That's the price for the 4k COLLECTION. Apologies. I tried to delete my own post but coudn't figure out how to do it.

Doh!
You can't. The best you can do is edit it and remove all the text and put a "Oops" or "Deleted" type comment instead. You have ~24 hours to do that. After that time frame you can't edit any more. You might be able to "report" your post to a mod and ask for it to be deleted. I've never tried so don't know about that option.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I see that "Psycho" is now in 4K on iTunes. It doesn't mention anything about including the unedited version and states that the running time is 1 hour 48 minutes. I wonder if they only included the edited version.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I see that "Psycho" is now in 4K on iTunes. It doesn't mention anything about including the unedited version and states that the running time is 1 hour 48 minutes. I wonder if they only included the edited version.
I don't think the cut footage even adds up to 30 seconds, so the running time wouldn't be affected either way.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
According to this post, it's the cut version.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
Too bad it’s not the uncut version. I believe it adds a little over a minute to the running time and, I hear, it actually ups the enhancement of the viewing.

John Skoda

Second Unit
The blu-rays of all these are pretty darned good, so I'm looking for any incentive to get this new box. The extra PSYCHO footage would be one. Restored mono soundtracks for VERTIGO and PSYCHO would be others.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I dont have it to check but the most recent German "uncut" Psycho was made from a new scan and has a running time of 109 minues. I haven't seen it so can't account for grain, etc.

However current online etail listings note all titles include HDR10 as further evidence they are all new scans (or within the last couple of years): for anyone who has the Criterion Notorious BD from last year, I recommend you go to the extras and watch the 20 minute short on storyboarding and visual style with Daniel Raim which includes a few clips from the sequence of Tippi at the school yard waiting for Pleshette while the crows gather on the jungle jim behind her. THe PQ for this is very beautiful and it's obviosuly nothing like the same sequence in the boxset scan from 2012. THere's no trace of waxines, detail and grain are superb, and even the differing skin textures between Tippi's neck and face are distinctive. It looks like a brand new top quality 4K. ANyway we only have two weeks to d day.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
A French site cites 1:48:44 for the theatrical version and 1:48:57 for the extended version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks