david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I very much doubt Universal will ignore current cinephie awareness of the cut footage. That’s assuming the “A” team is doing the masters for this UHD set. There’s also actually a bit more of the body double’s breasts in the shower when she turns around. This print was still playing in Australia as late as 1972 and it was the same print that was first to be broadcast on then newly opened Channel 10. It was shown in that format uncut on Tv from word go. Prints coming in after the 70s were all cut.

AlexNH

Second Unit
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
I've seen stills of the knife touching Janet's skin, but from the making of documentary, either the editor or the assistant director said that it was cut from a studio screening before the June 16th premiere in New York City. I think it was the screening where a Paramount head thought they saw Janet's breast during the shower scene; he didn't.
His name was Luigi Luraschi.

Lord Dalek

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Agree. The whole "no extra 6 seconds of footage, no sale" concept seems goofy to me.

We've lived without the "uncut version" for many decades. We can continue to survive without it! :D
This. For the same reason of "I grew up with Roy Batty not gouging Dr. Tyrell's eyes out for 10 years..."

Reactions: Colin Jacobson

haineshisway

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
While I understand what the legion of decency wanted, this movie was seared into my brain when I saw it (and others who saw it who say exactly what I'm about to say): I can't swear to the bra stuff or even the blood on the hands stuff, but the multiple stabs of Arbogast were there - I remember when I saw the reissue and it was one stab thinking to myself, that isn't the way it was.

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
I’ll be interested to see in the near future if there is news of the Hitchcock titles in previous sets that includes titles from the 1940’s up to his final film. In other words, maybe a bigger box set someday that includes titles released prior on standard blu ray. I’d hate to buy this set and then see the release of another set with more titles. Unless they are just parsing the films out a little at a time. There will be many other titles I’d love to see coming out on 4K.

Reactions: Osato

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I’ll be interested to see in the near future if there is news of the Hitchcock titles in previous sets that includes titles from the 1940’s up to his final film. In other words, maybe a bigger box set someday that includes titles released prior on standard blu ray. I’d hate to buy this set and then see the release of another set with more titles. Unless they are just parsing the films out a little at a time. There will be many other titles I’d love to see coming out on 4K.
Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window, and The Birds are Universal's Hitchcock cash cow titles, so they'll always get treatment first before any others.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
The problem with a set of films from the 40's to the end is there would be multiple studios involved. Warner, Fox, Universal, Paramount...

Reactions: Osato and Joe Lee

lark144

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
mark gross
While I understand what the legion of decency wanted, this movie was seared into my brain when I saw it (and others who saw it who say exactly what I'm about to say): I can't swear to the bra stuff or even the blood on the hands stuff, but the multiple stabs of Arbogast were there - I remember when I saw the reissue and it was one stab thinking to myself, that isn't the way it was.
I remember the bra being taken off from the back intercut with Norman Bates' eye looking through the peephole & also the extra stabs on the staitcase. There were three, I think. The blood on the hands I'm I'm pretty sure I saw because that was the moment I realized she was really dead which I wasn't at all expecting and when Norman first came in I thought, oh, she's just wounded, amd he'll revive her, but then I saw the blood on his hands and the look on his face,

Reactions: haineshisway

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I remember the bra being taken off from the back intercut with Norman Bates' eye looking through the peephole & also the extra stabs on the staitcase. There were three, I think. The blood on the hands I'm I'm pretty sure I saw because that was the moment I realized she was really dead which I wasn't at all expecting and when Norman first came in I thought, oh, she's just wounded, amd he'll revive her, but then I saw the blood on his hands and the look on his face,
When Arbogast is first stabbed in his chest, how does blood splatter on his face? To get blood there Arbogast would have had to stab Norman instead wouldn't he?

I remember Norman cleaning up the blood in the tub with the mop, but I don't remember is hands being bloody though? I couldn't find post murder clean up on YouTube, but this is played in the background as Norman frantically scrambled to clean everything up.

lark144

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
mark gross
When Arbogast is first stabbed in his chest, how does blood splatter on his face? To get blood there Arbogast would have had to stab Norman instead wouldn't he?

I remember Norman cleaning up the blood in the tub with the mop, but I don't remember is hands being bloody though? I couldn't find post murder clean up on YouTube, but this is played in the background as Norman frantically scrambled to clean everything up.

I'm talking about at the end of the sequence, after he falls down the stairs. Orginally, Norman stabbed him a few times.

Mark B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark

I remember Norman cleaning up the blood in the tub with the mop, but I don't remember is hands being/QUOTE]

The blood didn't splatter on his face, the knife sliced him across the face.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
The blood didn't splatter on his face, the knife sliced him across the face.
I think it did splatter. If you play the video slowly you can see clearly that when she stabs the knife does not come down his face.

Also, when it cuts to the close-up, the blood hits his face AFTER the knife had come down and when there is no knife in the frame.

I have always thought the blood flicked onto his face when she pulls the knife out...

D9103C14-F0A5-4541-A0A3-4A0E24DB3B10.png BED638A1-FE31-4078-A94F-9A5576D5E347.png

Last edited:

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I always thought the knife sliced his face....still do, regardless of how you think it appears in the overhead shot. The face wound looks like a slice to me, not a splatter from his chest.
For what it's worth, the making of Psycho book seems to agree with what I am attempting to show with my screen grabs above - that the blood flew up his face AFTER the knife was plunged down. I mean you can see it very clearly that the blood appears and there is no slashing knife in the frame...

659BBDC5-A798-44D1-B93C-D679DB0FD602.jpeg

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
The blood splatter is a job for CSI Julie Finlay. :)

The problem with a set of films from the 40's to the end is there would be multiple studios involved. Warner, Fox, Universal, Paramount...
That’s true, I have several box sets from Warner and Universal and the separates from other studios including Paramount Kino, MGM and Criterion releases.

Reactions: Osato

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barcelona