Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 2.01.26 PM.png

Coming soon to 4K UHD from Universal Studios!

The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection 4K UHD!

Features the original UNCUT version of Psycho
MORE INFO TBA!
“The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection features four iconic films from the acclaimed director’s illustrious career including Rear Window, Vertigo, Psycho and The Birds in stunning 4K resolution. Starring Hollywood favourites such as James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Anthony Perkins, Janet Leigh, Tippi Hedren, Kim Novak and Rod Taylor, this essential collection features hours of bonus features as well as the original uncut version of Psycho for the first time ever in 4K.”

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If the included BD version also has uncut Psycho, I’ll bite. If it’s the same as the previous BD, I’ll pass.
I'm not a huge Hitchcock fan. I have the European BD Set. Had no idea I had an edited version of Psycho.

How much material was removed? Was it substantial? Was it gore based?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It's only a few seconds in each instance (though the extra two stabs are brutal), but does add up in impact. I'm very pleased Uni is saying this will be the version they use. I just hope they update the Blu as well since I'm not equipped for 4K.
My only concern here is that the video states that Universal, upon releasing the BD set, claimed that they were providing the original uncut version which apparently was not the case. Makes me wonder if they really know what the uncut version is.

Reactions: Tony Bensley

Peter Apruzzese

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The genuine uncut version was released on the German Blu-ray set, so let's hope that material came from Universal.

Lord Dalek

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
My only concern here is that the video states that Universal, upon releasing the BD set, claimed that they were providing the original uncut version which apparently was not the case. Makes me wonder if they really know what the uncut version is.
The edits were done by Paramount and Hitchcock in 1960 before the US release so any cuts/tv censorship would have been done to that version.

Reactions: Osato

AlexNH

Second Unit
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
What video?

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
My concern is this - is this the version Hitchcock made or someone else? Because I don't want one made by someone else.

It's not just the visuals that are different, either. The German version played around with the sound as well. Listen to Arbogast going down the stairs - there is added sound of his voice and it sounds terrible.

Also the peephole scene - the music is actually different to account for the extra seconds of screen time. I plan later on comparing the soundtrack to it to see which version that uses...

EDIT: Ok gents I just listened to various versions of the soundtrack and this is interesting - the cue "The Peephole" matches the German version, not the US version. So Bernard Herrmann has to have written the music to the scene as it plays out in the German version...

Discuss...

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
My concern is this - is this the version Hitchcock made or someone else? Because I don't want one made by someone else.

It's not just the visuals that are different, either. The German version played around with the sound as well. Listen to Arbogast going down the stairs - there is added sound of his voice and it sounds terrible.

Also the peephole scene - the music is actually different to account for the extra seconds of screen time. I plan later on comparing the soundtrack to it to see which version that uses...

EDIT: Ok gents I just listened to various versions of the soundtrack and this is interesting - the cue "The Peephole" matches the German version, not the US version. So Bernard Herrmann has to have written the music to the scene as it plays out in the German version...

Discuss...
It’s the German-dubbed version.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
It’s the German-dubbed version.
I understand that but my point is in the US version Arbogast makes no sound at all while going down the stairs, his mouth is just open in shock. Adding the voice for the German version is an artistic change - more than just dubbing dialogue into another language.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
The version of "Psycho" that I grew up is fine with me. I'm buying the 4K, no matter what version is available in this 4K release.
Agree. The whole "no extra 6 seconds of footage, no sale" concept seems goofy to me.

We've lived without the "uncut version" for many decades. We can continue to survive without it! :D

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I've seen stills of the knife touching Janet's skin, but from the making of documentary, either the editor or the assistant director said that it was cut from a studio screening before the June 16th premiere in New York City. I think it was the screening where a Paramount head thought they saw Janet's breast during the shower scene; he didn't.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barcelona