PSB sub problem; humming

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrentPollard, Jan 4, 2002.

1. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I have a PSB subsonic II which has recently began to give off an irritating hum. It is so bad that when I am only watching TV I must turn off the power to the sub. It sems to be the sub itself as it hums even if I unplug the interconnect. I have tried plugging it into different outlets in the room with no change. What do you guys think.
    Brent.[​IMG]

2. Phil T

Phil T Agent

I know some subs will hum if they're not receiving a signal (or they don't know the words!). Is this sub hooked to an receiver and does it hum if you are playing a CD or some other source and you PAUSE or STOP the source?

3. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

It is quiet for several min when I pause a cd then the hum starts again. So maybe it just needs the signal but it is odd that I never noticed it before. I guess I'll just have to power it off when watching the tv as I don't have the tv signal going thru the reciever. Btw while we are on the subject of subs could you explain the phase switch. On my sub it has 2 settings 180 and 0 degrees.

4. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

Well,I would either teach it the words...or return it to your dealer and ask him if there is a problem or not. It sounds like you have a voice coil problem, or a asket to cone problem. Better to be safe than sorry.

5. Dave Malo

Dave Malo Agent

Brent
    I know this sounds stupid but I have the same sub and problem. I went to the back panel of the sub and re tightened the screws and low and behold no more humming. I think you need a Philips screwdriver. It's worth a try.
    [​IMG]