What's new

backround hum (1 Viewer)

Matt_Sulli

Agent
alright, heres my setup

sherwood r-956 receiver, sony cdp345 5 disc, samsung dvd
psb image 6t's on kimber 8vs biwire and a pbj rca for the cd player

when up close to the speakers i notice a little bit of static in the backround, nothing noticable usually, just on some quiet parts of songs and movies, would this be due to some interference in the power supply? my 32" sony is plug into the same power supply as the receiver, but the backround noise still persists when the tv is unplugged. anyone know of a cheap way of eliminating the backround noise? not looking to spend much money on it since its not a very noticable problem, and i would rather spend the extra money on a sub or center channel.

i saw a belkin power supply that supposedly conditions the line for 60 bucks at staples, think it would work?

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Hard to say without determining if the noise is coming in on the power line, or inherent in your electronics. If it's your receiver that's generating the noise, cleaning up the power won't make much of a difference.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Just curious,

Are you running your video (S-Video/RCA) etc through your receiver, then to the TV?

Reason I ask is that my Outlaw 1050 always did what you're saying when I ran video through it. It mostly was caused by the S-Video inputs however. To test it, I unplugged the S-Video from the receiver and ran it to the TV directly, then the hum was gone.

Just a thought.

Matt_Sulli

Agent
alf, tried out the svideo idea, ran the receiver without the svideo in and it made no difference, the setup is in an old room with an old electrical system, so i'm thinking it's probably something to do with the power, i'll try one of those belkin power supplies and see if they make a difference

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I may be way out in left field but,if I remember correctly doesn't this slight hiss have to do with the amp?

What I mean is I remember seeing a post on headroom of an amp where a better quality amp will have more head room & less hiss where as a lesser quality amp will have less headroom & more hiss,(no pun intended Matt so please don't take this wrong)

I can say from my own equipment that my past two recevers had a noticeable hiss to them when you got close to a speaker with the vol about 1/4 up,& with my current system which is much better quality than my previous I have no hiss at all until the vol is up to around the half way point & even than it is almost unnoticeable.

Matt_Sulli

Agent
joe, you may be right, because i have to turn the vol up to about 1/2 up before you can really notice it when your next to the speaker, barely noticable at all when your sitting around listening to music, and it would make a lot of sense that a more expensive amp wouldn't have this problem.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Matt_Sulli,

anyone know of a cheap way of eliminating the backround noise?
I ran into a similar problem and wanted to apply an inexpensive fix. So, I went with a PS Audio Power Port for $50 and, IMHO and to my definitely not-golden ears, it made a lot of difference. Here's what I wrote back in May:

I just upgraded from a crappy ol' $0.89 duplex (that my HT's power strip is plugged into) to a PS Audio Power Port and, WOW, what a difference it made! It seems to me that my system is playing cleaner/clearer than before. Could this be due to (A) a lower noise floor, (B) a tighter connection between my power strip and the Power Port, or (C) both? Being that I am somewhat skeptical about some of the upgrades floating around (this one made sense to me), I had my fiance take a listen. Even she agreed that the sound is cleaner. The Power Port also helped out with a nasty little ground loop hum that had been plaguing my system. It seems to still be there, but is way less pronounced than before. The only way I hear it now is by putting my ear up to the speaker. Here's an entusiastic to PS Audio!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks