What's new

PSB Alpha Originals: What To Do? (4 Viewers)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I have a set of four original PSB Alpha speakers along with a PSB 100C center channel speaker which I've had for over fifteen years. I've modified them five years ago, replacing the "toilet paper roll" cardboard port tubes with proper plastic port tubes, replaced the home insulation filling with polyester upholstery filler, and added some putty around the back panel seams. The improvements were pretty significant, especially the center speaker which never sounded "right" before.

Despite this, I've always struggled to accommodate these little beasties everywhere I've lived, and I'm getting a bit fed up. If it isn't the space they take up, it's the spaghetti wiring behind the receiver. I'll be moving to a smaller place at the end of the month, and I'm ready to downgrade to a smaller two speaker system to simplify my life and gain some living room space.

As for my choice of replacement speakers, I already have them: a pair of Paradigm Cinema Series 70 version 1 that I currently use as computer speakers, and which sound very, very good at close proximity. With the new set-up, I'll use them with the new flat panel TV which will serve as both TV and computer screen.

So what do I do with the PSB Alphas? Is it better to keep them for later use? I won't have much storage space if any. Or can I sell the PSBs at a decent price despite the modifications? And if so, how much can I get for them?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
There seems to be at least a couple of different Alpha speakers, maybe a 5 1/4" and a 6"?

On Audiogon there's a pair for $175 and a pair described as new-in-box for $249.

Craigslist in the S.F. area has some for $85 to $130 a pair. My guees is most people have no idea how good PSB speakers are. Probably never heard of them.

As for whether to keep them or sell them, certainly wait until you're sure the smaller stereo setup satisfies your audio needs, then decide. I'm a pack rat. I have way too much stuff. Even though there might be a few things I could never part with most others need to go so unless you really, really like them I'd say let them go. In the future you might have the chance to try something different. If that doesn't work for you then there seems to be a nice supply of Alpha's on the used market should you have any regrets.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
The Alphas are the 6" models.

The only problem with selling them now and buying other ones later is that I'd be tempted to modify them again.

I can certainly keep them, possibly hide them under the bed for now, packed in their original boxes. And I already have other gear that needs to be sold (projector, screen, rear speaker stands), so I'll still be able to make some room no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks