What's new

PS2 shimmering (1 Viewer)

Cory R. B.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using component cables at 480i for my PS2 (TV is Samsung HDTV). I don't notice this problem during gameplay because I'm obviously focusing on playing. But at title screens and menus, I can see that the screen appears to be shimmering a little, like words will noticeably be moving. I'm talking only a millimeter or less, but it is definitely shimmering or flickering or something. I also notice this in the PS2 browser when no game is in. You'd obviously need an HDTV to see this as blurring on a normal connection would make something so small invisible. But anyone else with a high end set see this?

Joe michaels

Second Unit
Yes I see this too but what is worse is the horrible jagginess on most PS2 games. It is so bad I hooked the PS2 back to my smaller 27" Wega. The XBOX exhibits very little of this and is truly the best system for high enders imho.

Cory R. B.

Stunt Coordinator
Yah, the jaggies are pretty bad, but at least I know that isn't my set calibrated wrong or something. I was actually playing Guilty Gear X, a 2D fighting game, so there aren't any jaggies. I was just making sure something wasn't wrong with my PS2 or TV, because shimmering with text looks pretty weird.

Gary King

Second Unit
I made a post explaining why this happens a few weeks ago. It's an artifact of interlacing, and it's especially problematic with a white foreground on a black background.

If you search my posts, you can probably find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks