What's new

Region 2 and Dot Crawl/Shimmering (1 Viewer)

Deborah*T

Agent
A bit of a story first:
I am in the middle of upgrading all my viewing/audio equipment and have started with my tv. Now have a 28" Panasonic flat widescreen :D Love it. Anyhow, on my old Panasonic square telly I never noticed dot crawl at all. I am pretty sure it was there, the picture was just never big enough or clear enough for me to see it. I am using a PlayStation 2 for my DVD player at the moment and assumed it was the fault of that. I replaced my rubbish scart that the PS2 came with to an S-video and that has improved it slightly.
Anyhow, after swatting up about dot crawl and shimmering beign quite common on one of the other forums, I came to wondering if it was worse on Region 2 than say, Region 1, because of all the languages and subtitle tracks etc that are shoved on movies.
Incidentally, the movie that it is worst on is my R2 version of the Matrix. The Matrix of all things?? Wasn't that mostly shot on digital film anyway? Or am I talking rubbish.
Thoughts? Ta!

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Check the settings of your PS2... It has sharpness options and DNR, turn all of these things off if they are on. Turning up the sharpness is like adding edge enhancement and could be what you are describing.

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
Same with your tv, adjust the sharpness setting down as low as you possibly can before feeling uncomfortable with the result. Sharpness circuits were patented by Satan and are put into tv's to make dvd's look bad.

Deborah*T

Agent
Sharpness circuits were patented by Satan and are put into tv's to make dvd's look bad
:laugh:
Yeah, I tried that as soon as I played the first DVD on my telly. That first DVD (Monty Python and the Holy Grail) looked AWFUL. Still isn't quite the way I would like the picture to be. I am resigned to doing two things now:
1) Try and adjust my PS2 settings for each DVD I watch.
2) Buy the Pioneer multi-region DVD I have had my eye on for over a month and just splash out on pay day. What the hey...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks