What's new

Do PS2 games with 16x9 support reduce visible scanlines? (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I have standard WEGA with a 16x9 mode and was wondering if any PS2 games with 16x9 support actually concentrate all available resolution within the 16x9 area to reduce scanline visibility (not unlike anamorphic DVDs).

I tested GT3 in normal mode and was disappointed by scanlines and lots of shimmer.

I then switched to 16x9 mode (both in-game and in WEGA), but saw no difference.

Do most games with 16x9 support merely format the screen without concentrating all resolution in the 16x9 area (like 4:3 letterbox movies)?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The different aspect ratios do not change the resolution at all - the shape of the pixels change. If you are using a squeeze mode, you may be seeing the same # of lines of resolution in a smaller space, which might make it seem more detailed.

-Dave

Frank@N

Screenwriter
OK, it's been awhile since I tried this.

This time, I changed GT3 into 16x9 mode but *didn't* adjust my WEGA.

Sure enough, the other cars looked distorted.

I then enabled WEGA squeeze to correct the proportions.

So I guess the PS2 16x9 mode does use all available resolution and should reduce the appearance of scan lines.

There's still a ton of shimmer in the track graphics, but maybe that will be reduced when I get a prog scan WEGA.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Unless the game supports 480p, I don't think that will make a difference.

-Dave

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yeah, progressive games do make a huge difference but on ESPN Football 2k4 progressive scan mode introduces some wierd checkered like pattern on my screen that annoys me badly, so I switched it back to interlaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks