PS-1200 Sub Woofer by Paradigm

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antonio_D, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Antonio_D

Antonio_D Agent

hi all,i would like to tell me what do you think about this subwoofer.Does it give a lot of base in movies and music?
    Give me all your suggestions about this subwoofer.

Thanks in advance!

2. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

This was the first sub I ever owned. It didn't go very deep, but it pounded very satisfactorily. 3 years ago, it was a very price competitive sub but subwoofer prices have been dropping so I don't know if its still a good buy.

I forget how much I paid for it, but it was in the region of $500. Earlier this year, a friend of mine bought a PW2200 for $640 and that one beats the heck out of the PS1200. I might buy a PS1200 today for around $400.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I agree with what Haru said. Although I wouldn't even pay $400 for it. What price range are you looking at?

I'll also add it is a bandpass design. I'm not much of a fan of bandpass designs. Can make good boom boxes and spl competition boxes for car use, but I don't care for their sound quality for HT and music.

Here is Nousaines test data for the PS1200 as well.

Paradigm PS-1200 -98dB / 25hz~91.4dB

First number is an average of 4 max spl values between 31 and 63 hertz. Last value is max spl at 25hz, no 20hz value is given. All max values were limited to 10%THD.

4. Ken Leggatt

Ken Leggatt Stunt Coordinator

If you can, pick up a pw-2200. It is a way better subwoofer for the little extra you will pay.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Never seen a sub used for base. BASS maybe, but not base.

There's a 2200 on audiogon.com for $575.

6. mark rush

mark rush Stunt Coordinator

Hey Antonio, if you get a ps1200 make sure it is a version 3
    it has a better enclosure and a different sub in it, the specs that were giving out in the earlier post was the old version sub, I have a pw2200 and wanted a second one, the stereo shop loaned me a ps1200 version 3, man that sub is a BIG improvement over the older model, it will play with the 2200 down to 29 HZ then the 2200 has a edge, if you can get a deal on one buy it, I think you will like it
    Mark