What's new

Hiding a sub-woofer in new construction theater (1 Viewer)

Mazer

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Hansberger
I've got a new house under construction and trying to figure out the best place to hide the sub-woofer. I have a Paradigm PS-1200 subwoofer (back firing) that I'd like to use with new in wall Polk front, center, & rear speakers. I'd like the sub to be hidden from view. I've got a fairly big closet space right next to my A/V cabinet (6'x3.5') and was thinking about potentially placing the sub in the wall, firing out into the room with some type of vent covering it up. Another alternative is to place it in the ceiling, firing down as there is just attic space above the room. Framing was just complete so sky is the limit right now. The electrician is working for the next week so I'd like to make sure I have power wherever it goes. Below is the layout of the theater and a pic of the closet area (where the text is describing the AV area) next to the built-in A/V cabinet. You guys got any suggestions? Thanks!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't recommend using that sub since the driver fires to the front and the ports to the rear. You will lose 1/2 the sound either direction you face it. You have many places to install an infinite baffle sub. Here's a good example of a quad 15", attic IB install - http://www.garagehobbies.com/ib.aspx?Section=Install

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There may be a better, simpler solution. I'm a big believer in keeping the sub in the same general area as the front speakers. A front corner has a lot of benefits. Sometimes you can use a regular sub but "hide" it under a table. Ideally, subs should have room to "breathe", because the basic concept of a sub is to move air. If the sub is constricted, it can't operate properly.

Mazer

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Hansberger
John, I agree, simple is better. After considering my options and input, I've decided to place it in that corner. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks