What's new

Sub -Woofer woes (1 Viewer)

Can someone please tell me how to adjust my paradigm ps-1200 sub. I have no idea what the other 2 knobs on the back of it are for. I cant really get it to sound right now matter what i do.

There are 3 knobs in total on the back of it. Im running a denon 2803,a Bryston 3b, monitor 11's, ADP-170's, and a cc-370 all paradigm. Ive got the sub in the corner of the room.

Thanks alot

John S

Senior HTF Member
On the Denon 2803, set all speakers to small. Choose 100hz as your initial cross over on the Denon 2803. Make sure there is a subwoofer listed in the channel / speaker setup.

On the Sub, place the Volume knob of the sub at 3/4's the way full. Turn the Crossover knob all the way to the highest setting. Place the phase knob at zero.

Calibrate (even by ear the 2803) so that all channels / speakers are at the same level at your prime seating / listening sweet spot, on the test tones from the Denon.

After that, run some content, like a DVD movie and while it is playing try the phase knob at various positions and see if you notice a position that seems to give more output.

Of course, the best way to do it is to own an RS SPL meter, then all channels can be easily made the exact same level on the test tones.

Best of luck with it.

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also having subwoofer woes similar to yours.

I just got a JBL E250P (replacing an Athena Sub8) and am not getting the bass I expected out of it. I have it hooked up through the LFE. My receiver is a Yamaha rxv-650 and I have my speakers set to small and bass set to sub only. I haven't ran the YPAO but I have the sub turned up all the way through the receiver. It seems like I have to turn the level knob on the sub all the way up to get decent bass. I have the crossover set to 80Hz as my As-F1's go down to 60Hz I think. The sub is in the front corner of the room where the 8" Athena was and it doesn't seem like I'm getting much more bass which makes no sense to me as it's a 12" compared to an 8" and also has 2.5 times the power.

I found that when I hooked up the Athena through the LFE I didn't get a lot of bass either so I used the line level and turned the knob up to around 7 or 8. The JBL has a L and R for line level so I just have my cable plugged in to one of them as suggested in the manual. I tried changing the phase through my receiver and directly on the sub and it makes a bit of difference but just not what I expected.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, it's just that we have a very similar issue and maybe someone can help us out.

I have a Radio Shack SPL but haven't attempted to use it yet (still figuring all this out...) I just don't think it will make much difference as I have most everything turned up and am not getting the bass I was expecting.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
John S had some very good suggestions. I would follow them

Yes you want to keep all your speakers small. By doing this, the bass that would normally go to them will be sent to your sub. You have nice speakers and amp by the way. I know it looks like your front speakers can handle low bass, but they can not do it as well as your sub can.

John S

Senior HTF Member
If your not getting good bass after this proceedure, try moving it elswhere. I'm not sure what is going on.

Should be pumping unless your room is really really large.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks