What's new

PROJECTOR SCREENS....?????? help. (1 Viewer)

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody see those Elunevision screens...cheap! on eBay stores.
panny ae900u....matt white or high contrst grey ?
MUST BE MANUAL PULL DOWN !
any suggestions..recommendations.

oh...looking for 100" ....maybe 92?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I am not familiar with those screens, but that doesn't matter as far as white vs. gray screen. The color depends on your room lighting and room's paint color. If your room is dark when viewing, and the room is not painted a light color, I would go with a white screen. But if you watch with ambient light or with lights on, I would go with a gray screen.

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
The room is sealed and dark , wood walls, but the room lights up from the movie .
I am not concerned with perfect blacks.
I would buy something that could enrich colors, bright vibrant color.?
Looking at screen goo ?
Draper Luma matte white, basic screen.
?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
In your situation, I would go with a white screen. I wouldn't spend my money on the GOO paint. If you're talking about a pulldown screen, be warned that they seem to develop wrinkles(from what I've read from owners). Supposedly the tensioned pulldown screens are much better, but I don't know. You can paint your own screen and save a good amount of money. Or build a wooden frame with 1X3's or 1X4's and use blackout cloth. My first screen was B/O cloth, but it was too dull white. Then I painted a sheet of 1/2" MDF with Behr Ultra Pure White, flat finish, and I like it much better(a little brighter and better colors). Your third choice would be to just paint your wall, if it's nice and smooth.

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
That Goo , Darn expensive 185.00 cdn for a litre..
I have a HDTV on my front stage, in the room. When I go to play a DVD, I wanted to pull down a screen in front of the HDTV, then retract it after the movie.
YES..those wrinkles would be a concern ? I would not spend a lot on a pull down,, and replace it regularly.
OR....
Make a light weight framed 1x3 screen, and hang it on hooks in front of my HDTV, then after, hang it back up on a side wall.
Just make the back attractive enough to not look bad on the side wall, match the reg walls or something.
BO cloth, on line loos cheap !
But you say dull ?
Can I paint BO cloth ?
what paint color did you have success with ?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Is this for a living room/family room? Maybe you should check into a tensioned pulldown screen. Blackout cloth is a pretty dull white, but maybe you'll be happy with it. You can paint it, but you have to spray it. Rolling is next to impossible. As I said in my last post, I used Behr Ultra Pure White, flat finish. Behr is sold at Home Depot. Supposedly it's the "whitest" white paint available. If you decide to build a frame and use B/O cloth, you can hang it from hooks in ceiling. Then when you're done viewing, you can swing the bottom up flat against ceiling and attach the bottom to hooks in ceiling.

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
Jim I have built a dedicated Home theater, 11.5 x 20, door seal, all insulated, two rows of seating, with a HDTV, that I want to cover when it is DVD time.
I was going to paint corrugated plastic, framed with 1x3's
I will look into behr paint.
I was alos thinking of Goo systems, but as expensive as a Da-Lite B.

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
Yes ..my wife has forbidden me to spend 185.00 cad, on paint, for a flimsy piece of plastic. LOL...what was I thinking.
she has said go out and buy one.
so....
out i went today only to get more confused.
I saw a sharp DT100 480p projector side by side with Panasonic ae900u and a Hitachi tx100.
The sharp at half the price of the panasonic was at Least 10 X better in brightness, color richness, vibrant, WOW factor...
The Panasonic looked...10-15% better than the Hitachi.
Now same feed HDTV Discovery ch. but all different screens ???
The sharp was on a white screen.
The panny was on a screen Goo, digital grey. Very Dull, by comparison.
so...
No Goo for me.
White, bright screen...1.3 gain or better.
Da-lite B ....or DraperLuma matt white....or High gain Da-lite???
BUT.....budget is 300.00 to 400.00 give or take. a little...
hard to find something to see.
anybody.......anybody...like bright, vibrant colors, who have spent the money to obtain it..
What did you compare ?

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
What about Elite Sceens ?

Anyone used a Da-Lite High Power, In a Dark room ? 2.8 gain.
lighter blacks, but richer colors, vibrant, bright, more3D look..
and Cheap 92" at about 215.00 US plus shipping
106" = 235.00 plus shipping.

I wanted a 100" ...what about buying a 106" pull down and cutting off the sides ?
would that cause it to curl, wrinkle ? Do these screens have the edges treated to create
a more stiff, or straighter edge ?

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
Jason Turk @AVS.
+make your own custom size for 50 bucks.

I'm having a 106" cut down to a 98" , 16:9

Da-Lite is sending me samples first, to look at.
But I know I want a bright image. even though my room is dark.
I just saw digital grey screen Goo , and I would use it for free IMO.
It was dull washed out looking. on a panny ae900u
my 4x8 piece of plastic is way better.
screen to come next week,

lloydMon

Grip
I bought the Dalite High Power from AVS (from Jason, as a matter of fact) to use with a Infocus 4805 and have been totally happy with it.

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator

That's great to hear but can you compare the brightness with a matte white ?
I mean I have a dark room, I saw my panny on a grey painted goo screen...It was so dull.

Is high power...super bright or just a little punchier ? than matte white...which I hear is a little brighter than grey.

Right now I use a sheet of corrugated white plastic ,which looks good, for now but I'd like a little brighter and more detail.
Can't spend over 500 bucks though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks