Projector/Powerstrip/5.1

Discussion in 'Computers' started by kyle-sm, Oct 13, 2003.

1. kyle-sm

kyle-sm Agent

OK to start out with I'm a newbie. I've read the newbie section, and did some searches on this problem but I'm not finding exactly what I need so here is what I'm curious about.

My setup for reference:

Sharp PG-C30XU projector (this is my only computer monitor)
    Dell PC pentium 4, 1700 MHZ, 256 RAM, XP professional, Santa Cruz sound card, GeForce2 MX with TV out
    ONKYO 5.1 reciever

I read that I can get the picture quality of a $16,000 scaler out of a PC, although specifics were not stated. Is this done with powerstrip and a DVD player program? I found a tutorial on how to use powerstrip and I'm really interested in using it to improve the quality of my DVD picture (don't have anything to get a HDTV signal right now so I'm not worried about it). So am I missing something to get this supposed $1600 scaler picture??

2. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

It is all true and then some. And its oh so simple.

1) Install powerstrip
    2) Set your custom resolution as high as you like and your card/monitor/tv/projector can handle with powerstrip (I run HDTV widescreen resolution to my Panny 300 projector, this is essential if you are using a TV or projector)
    3) Stick in the DVD and play.

There is one catch. Your MX probably has an RCA or S-video out that supports 1024x768. If this is the case, it's not good enough. What are you planning on running this signal to? Go DVI if at all possible with a new video card.

If you like the MX, a GeForce4 5200FX with DVI, svid, and vga with MPEG2 hardware chip will run you $40 shipped (just bought one off pricewatch). If S-video is the highest your TV has, then see if any other card will run S-video at 720p or 1080i, etc.

3. kyle-sm

kyle-sm Agent

wait I'm confused why would I use S video when I can use the computer monitor cable(vga) into my projector??

4. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Doh! I so read "TV" and not projector. VGA is perfect for projector. However if the projector has DVI and so does the Vid card, I would go that route.

Reading text won't be as perfect as a pixel for pixel ratio like you get through the VGA, but a displayed image will have better color.