Progressive Scan question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Trevor Dwyer, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Trevor Dwyer

Trevor Dwyer Auditioning

Hi,

I have the Arcam DV88 Player which is PAL and NTSC progressive enabled. I run this through a Denon AVC1SE (Upgrade amp) and out to a Sony VPL-VW10HT projector. My question is if I had the choice which disc would look better through this setup - for example the new Lord of the Rings boxset is to be released in Region 1 & 2 with the same features - which would look better?

I know this question sort of cross a couple of groups but it really is an understanding of PAL/NTSC progressive I am after.

Thanks

Best Regards

Trevor

2. Ben Jordan

Ben Jordan Stunt Coordinator

Ben
    PAL has more lines of resolution (625), with a lower frame-rate (25fps). NTSC has a higher frame-rate (~30fps), with lower resolution (525).
    I would think the PAL version would look better, but I'm NTSC only here, so I don't get a chance to compare. [​IMG]

3. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

but then if it's a film the frame-rate will be 24fps hence the need for 2:3 pulldown. Tv is 30fps but films are 24fps. So it seems PAL would be better.

Daniel Smith

4. Ben Jordan

Ben Jordan Stunt Coordinator

Ben
    TV here in the US is 30 (29.97 fps, or 60 fields per sec), but PAL tv is 25.