What's new

Progressive Scan question (1 Viewer)

Trevor Dwyer

Auditioning
Hi,

I have the Arcam DV88 Player which is PAL and NTSC progressive enabled. I run this through a Denon AVC1SE (Upgrade amp) and out to a Sony VPL-VW10HT projector. My question is if I had the choice which disc would look better through this setup - for example the new Lord of the Rings boxset is to be released in Region 1 & 2 with the same features - which would look better?

I know this question sort of cross a couple of groups but it really is an understanding of PAL/NTSC progressive I am after.

Thanks

Best Regards

Trevor

Ben Jordan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
PAL has more lines of resolution (625), with a lower frame-rate (25fps). NTSC has a higher frame-rate (~30fps), with lower resolution (525).
I would think the PAL version would look better, but I'm NTSC only here, so I don't get a chance to compare. :)

DanielSmi

Second Unit
but then if it's a film the frame-rate will be 24fps hence the need for 2:3 pulldown. Tv is 30fps but films are 24fps. So it seems PAL would be better.

Daniel Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks