Progressive looks worst?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LaMarcus, Mar 13, 2002.

1. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Im having a real conflict within. I was so pumped to get a progressive scan DVD player from all the praise that I heard from various forums, reviews, etc. So I could hardly contain myself in the pursuit of obtaining one.
    Finally the mission was accomplished when I purchase the Toshiba 3750 DVD player, in conjuction with my 65" 16x9 samsung tantus. And what I discovered in great horror (I might add) is that when I hit the button to go from progressive to interlaced the picture actually looked deeper and richer in color. This was horrifing![​IMG] .
    The tv is calibrated with VE and when the player sends out the progressive signal the picture looks like water color and when I do interlaced it looks like an oil painting? After messing with it more I discovered that when in prog. the picture was much brighter, and when in interl. it was darker. So when I darken the picture and added more color theres not much difference, but what gives?
    Does my tv do a better job of deinterlaceing and coverting to progressive than the DVD player does?[​IMG]

2. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Many prog scan players will output much lighter in prog scan mode. I don't know why. You'll have to recalibrate your TV settings after you get a new player. I've had an RP56, SD3750, SD5109, DV414, and I've had to adjust my picture settings each time.

3. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

4. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Andrew you and Kwang make a lot of sense, I KNOW this tv isnt good enought to do 3 2 pulldown that would be mind blowing. And you are right there are more artifacts now that I think about it when I have it on interlaced.
    Kwang you hit the nail on the head about what it is I am experiancing it's a wash out. And readjusting the set is just what going to have to happed.
    Only problem is when the set gets calibrated with Video Essentials in progressive mode it's in 4:3, thats not really the problem but what is the problem is that after you calibrate the settings, you have what are supposed to be the correct. So if I go in and change those afterwards with just my eyes no VE help won't I be going against the calibration I just did?
    And another thing (I know that Kwang knows what I'm talking about) is that the dvd player it self has 4 different modes in where you can adjust the color, brightnes , etc. So I adjust the tv and the dvd or do the tv with VE and the DVD player by eye? That's a tripped out question huh? lol [​IMG]

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Doesn't your DVD player recognize 2:3 pulldown, though? Your picture should be noticeably improved.

6. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

yea i think so.....if its progressive i thought the was automatic? i guess not lol.