What's new

Progressive looks worst? (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Im having a real conflict within. I was so pumped to get a progressive scan DVD player from all the praise that I heard from various forums, reviews, etc. So I could hardly contain myself in the pursuit of obtaining one.
Finally the mission was accomplished when I purchase the Toshiba 3750 DVD player, in conjuction with my 65" 16x9 samsung tantus. And what I discovered in great horror (I might add) is that when I hit the button to go from progressive to interlaced the picture actually looked deeper and richer in color. This was horrifing!:eek: .
The tv is calibrated with VE and when the player sends out the progressive signal the picture looks like water color and when I do interlaced it looks like an oil painting? After messing with it more I discovered that when in prog. the picture was much brighter, and when in interl. it was darker. So when I darken the picture and added more color theres not much difference, but what gives?
Does my tv do a better job of deinterlaceing and coverting to progressive than the DVD player does?:confused:

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Many prog scan players will output much lighter in prog scan mode. I don't know why. You'll have to recalibrate your TV settings after you get a new player. I've had an RP56, SD3750, SD5109, DV414, and I've had to adjust my picture settings each time.

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
Does my tv do a better job of deinterlaceing and coverting to progressive than the DVD player does
Doubtful- especially if your Tantus does not recognize 3-2 pulldown. (I am not really sure if it does or not.) You will be getting a LOT more artifacts from your TV. Just readjust your color appropriately and I am sure you will be more than satisfied. Not sure what causes the progressive image to be washed out out-of-box, technically speaking I wouldn't think that de-interlacing itself would affect color and saturation at all. Maybe someone with a lot more knowledge of the subject matter will chime in.

Cheers

Andrew Ballew

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Andrew you and Kwang make a lot of sense, I KNOW this tv isnt good enought to do 3 2 pulldown that would be mind blowing. And you are right there are more artifacts now that I think about it when I have it on interlaced.
Kwang you hit the nail on the head about what it is I am experiancing it's a wash out. And readjusting the set is just what going to have to happed.
Only problem is when the set gets calibrated with Video Essentials in progressive mode it's in 4:3, thats not really the problem but what is the problem is that after you calibrate the settings, you have what are supposed to be the correct. So if I go in and change those afterwards with just my eyes no VE help won't I be going against the calibration I just did?
And another thing (I know that Kwang knows what I'm talking about) is that the dvd player it self has 4 different modes in where you can adjust the color, brightnes , etc. So I adjust the tv and the dvd or do the tv with VE and the DVD player by eye? That's a tripped out question huh? lol ;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't your DVD player recognize 2:3 pulldown, though? Your picture should be noticeably improved.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
yea i think so.....if its progressive i thought the was automatic? i guess not lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks