What's new

Pre-Order Giant (1956) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
As this site’s “industry stooge restorer,” I take that as a compliment.

My favorite, by a London reviewer, referred to my reconstruction of Aurens as by “some dotty American archivist,” because I had made the film longer. I don’t recall him mentioning the visual quality of 70mm.
As this site’s “industry stooge restorer,” I take that as a compliment.

My favorite, by a London reviewer, referred to my reconstruction of Aurens as by “some dotty American archivist,” because I had made the film longer. I don’t recall him mentioning the visual quality of 70mm.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
The only thing I can't stand on TV.
Every 5 mins. buy this & that. Are you need this & that.
All that hot air, and B.S. I just want my Movies & PopCorn
with NO B.S. And LaserDisc. VHS Tapes & DVD's are the way to do it!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I haven't been on this thread for a while so forgive me for writing about Lawrence but I'm not the one who brought it up. When I went with a friend to see it at the Ziegfeld he said he felt Lean really wanted it longer. My friend felt it wasn't long enough. As if Lean himself wanted it to be 5-6 hours much like Mankiewicz wanted Cleopatra's length to be 6 hours. That film I would have loved at 6 hours. For its 50th anniversary theatrical showing I went twice and its 4 hours flew by.
Now I don't know how long Lean would have liked Lawrence to be if he did not have commercial considerations to worry about but I'd like to know. As well that restored film flew by.

That British 4k Cover of Giant is superb. Criterion needs to hire whoever did that. I looked at The Rules of the Game cover and I was like Blech! Worse than even Summertime which took a real concentrated effort to make look so lousy.
If you think I'm being so fussy about covers then you have no idea what it is to be a collector.

Amazing to me Giant opened at the Roxy in New York at 3 hours with a stage show! Even Radio City maxed out its movies at 2 and a half hours to get an entire show in at 3 hours. Nothing ever longer when it was showing first run movies.

So do I get Giant at 13.80 or do I wait for it at 9.99 or for a better restoration?

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I haven't been on this thread for a while so forgive me for writing about Lawrence but I'm not the one who brought it up. When I went with a friend to see it at the Ziegfeld he said he felt Lean really wanted it longer. My friend felt it wasn't long enough. As if Lean himself wanted it to be 5-6 hours much like Mankiewicz wanted Cleopatra's length to be 6 hours. That film I would have loved at 6 hours. For its 50th anniversary theatrical showing I went twice and its 4 hours flew by.
Now I don't know how long Lean would have liked Lawrence to be if he did not have commercial considerations to worry about but I'd like to know. As well that restored film flew by.

That British 4k Cover of Giant is superb. Criterion needs to hire whoever did that. I looked at The Rules of the Game cover and I was like Blech! Worse than even Summertime which took a real concentrated effort to make look so lousy.
If you think I'm being so fussy about covers then you have no idea what it is to be a collector.

Amazing to me Giant opened at the Roxy in New York at 3 hours with a stage show! Even Radio City maxed out its movies at 2 and a half hours to get an entire show in at 3 hours. Nothing ever longer when it was showing first run movies.

So do I get Giant at 13.80 or do I wait for it at 9.99 or for a better restoration?
Ok. we get that you don't like Criterion's illustrated covers. What are your favorites then ? And in my optinion, the UK Giant is a VERY uninspired cover. A simple photo composite and the mansion is plunked ungracefully on E Taylor's chest. That's a graphic design fail. At least the US version attempts to be more stylized.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

219-220 minutes was the desired running time. About two minutes longer than the current cut. Only thing he would have liked added was the first half of the balcony scene, which is an extra,

There was never a longer desired cut.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
The US cover for Giant is good but that Dean in the car is one of the great iconic images of cinema.

Criterion gets it right when they don't go off the deep end such as the fine image from The Red Shoes, and using original artwork like The Tales of Hoffman, Raging Bull and The Last Waltz. The original art work is always best. And they can get the spirit of the times perfectly such as A Hard Days Night and Shaft.

But any Jean Renoir film is a favorite film and how they used the heavy heavy hand on the wrong note with Rules of the Game is beyond me. A simple black and white photo would have been very nice indeed.

1664591198129.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks