What's new

Problem with THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK (1 Viewer)

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Has anyone else had any problems with Fox's THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK? I've seen two separate copies on 3 different DVD players and each time, the picture either broke up or froze up during the scenes where the Nazi soldiers hear the cat making noise, and also just before and during the singing of the Hanukkah song (Chapter 20). I'm getting a replacement copy, but now I'm wondering if many of the discs have this same problem.

Thanks,
Bill

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Knock on wood, I had no problems with my Diary Of Anne Frank! I have however had problems with Fox's The Pick Up Artist. The wide screen side breaks up and freezes and is unplayable but the full frame side plays perfectly. When my third replacement continued to do the same thing, I gave up. I guess if I want to watch Pick Up Artist I'll have to watch it full frame.

John Leaning

Agent
I had exactly the same problem. The disk looked like the glue hadn't spread evenly. My replacement hasn't arrived yet, but my problem was certainly a manufacturing defect.

John

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Yikes Bill, that's scary. I haven't even opened my copy yet! Looks like I'm watchin' it tonight.... ;)

ADDENDUM:

Okay, I went ahead and checked my copy on 4 different players (my Panasonic, my PC's DVD-ROM drive, my daughter's Sony, and my son's Playstation 2). The Hanukkah song in Chapter 20 played fine on all of them, but there was a moment of weirdness at the 1:41:15 mark (chapter 19) that occurred on every player. The Nazis are headed back down the stairs, and a piece of paper falls, causing one of them to turn back around for a final look. There is a brief shot of the attic dwellers looking down in horror, and Peter, the young man among them, quickly rises in panic. The image freezes as he begins to rise, remains static for a bit, then cuts back to the Nazi soldier. Since the exact same thing happened on four different players from three different manufacturers, I'm thinking it's a flaw in the actual transfer and not disc-related. I assumed at first that it was simply the layer change, but it doesn't behave like a normal layer change... there's no interruption in the audio stream, for example. For whatever reason, the image just freezes for a bit.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Craig said:

I'm almost sure that's an actual freeze frame intended by George Stevens. It's been in every version of the movie I've ever seen. There's one just like it in THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD when Jesus is dying on the cross. But thanks a lot for checking up on it on 4 different players (!). I'm glad you got a flawless copy - I hope I can say the same when I get my replacement.

--Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks