What's new

Problem with mounting driver, need help (1 Viewer)

Greg P

Stunt Coordinator
I have just finished my sealed 1503 project. I am using t-nuts into the MDF to mount the driver. I have 2in 10-24 size screws. The sub is a small cube, so on 4 of the 8 screw holes the t nuts extend infinitly into each side wall. On the sides that dont I only have an 1.5 in of thickness. On those hole mounts I notice one of the screws swelled up the Mdf and put a small crack in the back layer. I drill as much as I could out with the T-nuts already in. Should I just get shorter screws or is there somthing else I can do.

Thanks

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Color me confused. 4 of the 8 holes are in the edge of a side/bottom/top? If so how did you get T-nuts installed?

An MDF edge will always split when put under that type of pressure since it's basically layers of paper made from saw dust

Greg P

Stunt Coordinator
The T-nuts on the far reaching edges of the circle run into the sidewall. The baffle piece covers the whole front and was assemble in a "sandwich configuration"

Am I OK using screws that are only an 1.5 or so?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, but I think that even with predrilling, any size screw is going to force the MDF apart if it penetrates the edge of the side wall and is torqued down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks