What's new

Private message help! (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Well, I just got it to work, though I'm not quite sure what I did!

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I've got the same at the moment. Dan Brecher sent me a message on Friday, and while it doesn't show up in the messages in the last year, I can see it if I look at messages since 'the beginning'. So it looks like there is a date quirk in the private messages section.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Gentlemen:

You need to go to the User Control panel and click on Edit Options and then set the timezone for the forum to your local time zone. Since the default is to show you all messages from the last year I am not sure why you are not seeing messages that have been sent to you. But try setting your local timezone and see what happens.

Also, make sure that you are looking at your Inbox and not your sent messages, etc.

Parker

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Thanks for the tip Parker, but I've checked it and its set to GMT, just as it should be. I can't see either the message in my inbox or the recipt in my outbox unless I switch the 'since' field to 'the beginning' rather than just 'the last year'. The dates marked by the messages are correct, though.

What database do you use on the backend, by the way? If I had to guess at a cause, I'd lay the finger of suspicion at it thinking the message is in the future, so it might be a bug in the time compare code. Mind you, it seems to work fine for the main forums, so thats probably not it.

Oh, and as this marks my 2000th post thanks for doing such a great job with the site; as the post count suggests I rather like it here!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Iain:

First off. Congrats on the 2000th. Sorry it had to be about a problem with the software.

We use MySQL as the database backend. I am not sure why you are having this problem. It is the first that I have heard of lately. I think that Carl had a problem with it initially but then this resolved. You should be able to see any message written to you in the private area within the last year. It doesn't make any sense that it works ok for me on my end using IE, Netscape and Opera on 98, ME and XP.

I try setting it to view the last 10 days by default and see if that helps.

Parker

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Thanks Parker. As I said in my test reply back to you, the original message still doesn't show up unless I view since 'the beginning', but your new message is working fine. MySQL isn't what I was thinking of with the database problem though, so my longshot of a guess was out.

The fact that its working again means that its no biggie either, so I wouldn't stress over it.

oh, and I'm on IE 5.5 sp 2 under Windows 2000, if its something client-side thats causing the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks