What's new

Power/Surge Protection (1 Viewer)

Andrew L

Auditioning
I live in an area that is prone to thunderstorms and power-related problems. Is there a device that can protect my InFocus projector from damage caused by power-related problems?

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Andrew. I asked the same question a couple of years ago and was told to get a subwoofer surge protector for my projector. Apparently thats what some people are using. Its small and only has a couple of outlets to plug into. You can probably find one on Amazon for around $60-$80. I'm in the same boat as you where the thunderstorms and power related problems are a concern.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
If your power has many interruptions in addition to spikes, I suggest getting a UPS for all of your HT gear—not just your projector. You can purchase one adequate for your projector, TV (assuming you have one in the same location), AVR, DVD/Blu Ray player and satellite or cable box for under $200 (though I don’t really know current US pricing).

A decent one will handle surges, modest voltage drops and supply enough battery power to keep everything running long enough (~15 minutes, depending) for power to resume or so that you can just turn everything off gracefully. Make sure you get a unit that has provisions for a phone (or data) line as well as I/O for RG6. This will protect your equipment against surges from surges along those avenues as well.

APC and Belkin make reliable proudest at reasonable prices—there are other companies as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks