possible to get HDTV for the day?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ryan_x, Jan 7, 2003.

1. ryan_x

ryan_x Stunt Coordinator

anyone know if it is possible to get an HD signal just for the superbowl...I know Rogers here in Toronto will let you rent out a set top box for the things like Wrestlemania and big boxing matches...I would like to get HD just for superbowl but after that I could really care less

2. NathanM

NathanM Auditioning

I recently purchased a gently used Samsung SIR-T150 on E-Bay for $335 (including shipping). My intent is to use it for all the HD playoff games and the Superbowl, then resell it over E-Bay. The T150 tends to go for close to $350 usually, so I've got some hopes that I'll only end up down $30 or so once all is said and done. Not bad for 3 weeks or so of HD! Who knows, with E-Bay I might end up making a profit on the deal. [​IMG]
    Nathan

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Well, if you can get the Super Bowl from OTA HD, then you can also just buy a brand new Samsung SIR-T151 for $350 from J&R (www.jandr.com).
    _Man_

4. NathanM

NathanM Auditioning

Looks more like $400 to me. There is a $50 rebate, but that has to be put towards the purchase of an antenna.

If I were buying to keep it, I might go this route, but with the intent of reselling it on E-Bay, I wanted to get something that was trading actively, and the T150 seems to get more action than the T151 did (at least in my 1 week of watching before I started to bid).

Nathan

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    You have to email them for a quote to get $350--or go to their store.

I'm not sure about action on eBay since the T151 is still fairly new while the T150 is an older, discontinued model that doesn't have DVI/HDCP output.

_Man_

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

7. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

You can always 'try' one from Best Buy and return it later if you are not happy with it [​IMG]

8. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

9. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

10. Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn Stunt Coordinator

I am "trying" a Zenith 420, but the sad news is, I am probably going to keep it! I have gotten used to HDTV and am finding myself actually watching TV live to get HDTV. Normally, my wife and I would record the shows that we wanted to watch and watch them on video tape. Now we actually sit down and watch the commercials! I can't wait till the HDTV Hard Disk recorders are available!