What's new

Possible Problem with ST: DS Season Five, Disc Three (1 Viewer)

Scott-L

Agent
I haven't seen this posted anywhere else, so it's possible I just got a bad disc. On Disc Three, during the episode "The Ascent", the player will freeze up. This happned on both my Sony DVP-S330 and alos on my DVD-ROM drive. The freeze up occurs at 11:44 in chapter 2. Chapter 3 cannont even be manually selected but the rest of the episode can be watched from Capter four on. Has anyone else run into this?

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I saw another post around here somewhere about this...

Either there is a bad batch out there, or there is a player-dependent problem that affects more than one brand of player. I've watched every episode without any problems on my Toshiba player, and I've got the episode in question playing now on my DVD-ROM player.

You might want to try returning it for another set...

-Scott

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I saw a post on this too-may have been at DVD Talk. The poster was using a PS2 as his player and mentioned the same episode. I did not have any problems on my Philips 793C.

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I only watched the first 2 discs so far, but I just tried that spot on disc 3 and had no freeze on my Pioneer DVL-919. Probably is a bad disc.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Anybody with a Sony player who has no problem with that episode?
My boxset is still in the mail and I'd like to stop worrying. :frowning:

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I played The Ascent from top to bottom on a Sony DVP-S360 and didn't have a problem. I haven't had a minute's worth of trouble with this set, so far.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
I got my set and I can play the episode without any problems too.
But I can't believe nobody noticed the grave error on ALL the DVDs:
All the Jem'Hadar ships pictured on the DVDs are flying backwards!
:D

Scott-L

Agent
Thanks for the feedback guys. I returned the set for a new one. The same exact problem still exists. So, it is definitely not a case of just one bad disc. The only reason that I think it is not a player specific error is that I've had the exact same problem on two different players. However, many of you seem to have had no problems with this. There must just be a bad batch of these out for sale. The real question now is whether Paramount will do anything about it.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
It could still be specific to a brand of decoder. Many different branded players use certain components produced by just a few companies. So, an issue that affects a certain decoder could affect three or four (or more) brands of players.

That doesn't help, I know... but I would tend to think that's the case, rather than a batch defect happening in the same place every time.

-Scott

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Did you get it somewhere like Best Buy? They will pop the disc in one of their players and test it for you if you ask.

Anyway, I just watched that episode last night on my Pioneer with no problems. I hope you are able to get it sorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks