What's new

Possible Buyers remorse. (1 Viewer)

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered the last piece of my ht setup and I am experiencing a little(but just a little buyers remorse)
Please keep this in mind I am thought of at work as the cheapest man alive. I tend to get buyers remorse at the purchase of a pair of socks. Anyway. I purchased the JVC 32 inch flat screen several months ago and I am very happy with it. For the rest of my set-up. HK-520 av receiver. I purchased JBL s26's front and rear S center channel all of which I am ok with. I was hoping to get a svs sub but that Idea was vetoed with extreme prejudice by the wife. My total budget was $1000. Needless to say I am over without the sub. I ordered the JBL PB-10 based on some positive reviews and price at j and r. Will I be happy for a while? Thanks,

Greg

george king

Supporting Actor
Greg,

How much did you pay? If you paid over $300, you should probably contact Brian at Link Removed
For that kind of money, he will build you a sub that will kill the JBL and look better to boot.

I think Joe, from another thread here

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=125119

is going to go the route of having Brian build him a sub. You may want to contact Joe, and get his feelings about this.

Hope this helps.

Joe Ferreira

Stunt Coordinator
Or I'll contact you! I spoke with Brian and he is a great guy. I will have a sub built pending my fiancee's approval (sorry Brian, I am still afraid to ask her, I just bought a new guitar and HDTV).

I did ask him about the mass market $299 subwoofers such as the PB10, Infinities, Polk, etc. and he told me that they are all tuned a lot higher (80Hz IIRC, sounds high?) which makes them sound more impressive with all the boom, but the last thing you want is boom. You want rumbles and thuds and accuracy, not just bass for the sake of bass. That's where SVS and Hsu (and Brian) come in. I actually think I can get a similar output box sub from Brian for a less than an SVS, and my n00b ears probably won't be able to tell the difference. I tend to tune my bass to where there is a seamless transition between my bookshelves to my sub, rather than a big hump where the sub comes in.

But I don't know how much you spent on the PB10, nor do I know how soon you need it. I think Brian said 2 weeks from when I order, but I told him that my sub could be his last priority since I am in no rush. I would at least talk to Brian, I felt like I could have been buying a $2000 set of speakers and he would have treated me the same exact way. Hope this helps!

george king

Supporting Actor
I will chime in some more with Joe. I bought some cabinets from Brian, and when some money comes in, he will be building me a pair of subs. However, he answered all of my questions without thinking I was a complete idiot, and all questions were answered quickly.

Customer service is a high priority with Brian and it shows. Furthermore, his craftmanship is superb. The build quality of the cabinets was amazing. I never thought that 3/4" MDF could fit together so seamlessly, and be so totally inert when rapped.

Give him a call. It will be the best 25 cents you have ever spent.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Since this has turned into a Brian love fest, I thought I'd chime in! :)

Joe, most commercial subs are probably tuned around 40Hz (not 80Hz) which makes them very boomy, but they sound impressive in the store. If I had $300 to spend and had issues with DIY I'd just get several Dayton DLS 10" subs. But if you've got $400 or so to spend, that's when DIY starts looking very attractive.

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I think I got good deals all around. $159 per pair for the s26's, $139 for the s center from Etronics $496 for the HK-520 frome onecall.com and $199 for the PB10 from J And R with free shipping.

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Greg,

For $199 shipped the PB-10 is a good subwoofer. Can you do better--that's hard to say for $199. The DIY route is a good way to go if you can do that stuff. If you can get someone to do a DIY sub for you and give you better performance for the money that is the way to go but again, for $199 I think you'll be happy IMHO. Enjoy and don't feel guilty :)

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
PB-10 got a rave review from C-net and $199.00 shipped is a great price for that sub. The only negative thing I've heard about the JBL's has been failures with the amplifiers. Hopefully yours won't be one of those :emoji_thumbsup: I think youv'e put together a fine system. I just switched from being a longtime Onkyo buyer to becoming a Harmon Kardon convert , enjoy that 520:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks