What's new

Help with Sony Da4es and H/K 525 (1 Viewer)

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
The last few days I have been trying to decide on either the H/K 525 or 325 and the Sony Da4es...I am pretty much switching my choice back and forth...I have a feeling that I would be happy with both but I still want whats best for me. Listening to them in my setup just isn't possible though I wish it was. I have listened to both in the store but less than ideal conditions obviously.

My setup is in a 13x15 room
Paradigm Monitor 7's
CC-370
sub...not yet
surrounds not yet.
70/30 movies to music though I watch more movies than listen to CDs I value the stereo playback but not enough to get a separate amp for stereo

different aspects of each appeal to me...
As far as features go they seem to be relatively equal. 7.1, preamp, digital ins, etc...

Some things however are different and I am having a hard time deciding which trade off to go with

Sony Da 4es Pros advantages the H/K(please add if there is something I may not have realized.)
DTS 96/24 decoding (I am unsure how important this will prove to be but I don't want to miss its absence later)
I have heard it is "better for movies"
provides detailed, clear surround sound

Sony Da4es disadvantages...
not so reliable wattage figures
considered "bright" so may not be the best match for my "brighter" Monitor 7's

H/K over Sony
musical, and warm maybe better match for my "bright" speakers
honest power ratings, maybe understated, 192/24 on all speakers
Logic 7
Better remote
H/K disadvantages
No DTS 96/24
Less optical inputs
has a fan
has some issues with hum it seems
The one thing that are playing most on my mind is the "best" match with my speakers. I have heard this is important to do. I don't know if my overall setup with the Sony and the paradigms would be too bright for me or if this could be fixed with its equalizer. I should say that I currently am using an older home theater in a box receiver from Sony, I am assuming that these two receivers will sound similar as far as brightness goes. On some music it seems a little too bright for me especially on some female vocals/pop music. I had the treble at -4 at one point. On other types of music like symphonic, rock etc...I could handle it at -1 or even 0. I am unsure if using the equalizer is the best way to achieve the desired amount of brightness or warmness etc...
When I watch movies I don't notice any amount of over brightnesss for some reason.
I am wondering if the H/k's warmness will make my speakers sound the same as the lowered treble settings of a Da4es.
Any of you have any predictions/comments on what role DTS 96/24 is going to play...Do you guys think it is going to be essential?
I have heard that H/k's are excellent among receivers for music...this is a draw but I hear little about its home theater performance channel separation, clarity of dialogue etc...can anyone give an insight on this...What effects does a musical receiver have on a dvd soundtrack. Is there any way to say that the dialogue, effects will be less clear in the H/K 525...
My final question is is there any difference between the Hk 325 and 525 other than the power rating. I think its like 10w a channel. How much difference does 10w make, is it about 150 US dollars worth??
I sincerely apoligize for the size of the post and I appreciate any response. I wish I could just buy them both and take one back but being a college student I can't and I would appreciate your help in possibly lowering the chance of buyer's remorse. I am rambling (this whole time) Thanks.

AndyHangartner

Stunt Coordinator
Jake,
check my posts about the 4es. My opinion is the H/K line is UGLY. Aside from that, although everyone seems to like there product, read all the failure reports. Very unacceptable. Tons of them here and on the AVS forum. That swayed me from the recent blowout prices on th 8000 H/K. I work for my money and I wasn't willing to accept a center channel hiss or any other anomally.
andy

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
good point I have heard about some of the problems with the H/K's and that has swayed me a bit.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Count my vote for the 4ES but it's not the votes that should count, it should make sense for you. I do not buy into this Sony are bright vs. HK is warm theory. The 4ES has enough customization to make anything sound warm or bright or absolutely flat. The 4ES has 5 EQ settings, I use one for movies, one for classical listening, one for jazz and you get the picture. No other receiver in it's class gives that ability. Add to the that variable crossover settings for each set of speakers and you're all set. DTS 96/24 is an absolutely stunning sound format. You should audition it in a well calibrated system and I'm sure you'll like that.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Don't worry about the wattage thing either, with the 4es. As other can assest to, I'm sure, this thing is loud enough for me and I'm in a 20x20 room with vaulted ceilings.

Aaron

PS, I agree, the HK's are ugly. :)

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
The 4ES is a really great piece of HT and 2Ch equipment...I have had mine for 6 months+ and would buy it again, its very flexible, sounds great, has enough power to make your ears bleed!

Best of Luck!
Alex

EdwinM

Grip
If you can get your hands on a STR DA5es, grab it. It is one of the best in terms of quality and sound. And you can do most anything with it. Try to get a sound test to compare the rest and you'll see/hear what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks