What's new

Port tunning question (1 Viewer)

Anthony*gw

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings to all,my sub is almost complete,it is a 140L shiva,4" flared port tuned to 20hz(waiting on driver for completion).however,if my sub is tunned to 20hz would i get good sound from lets say 40-50hz?

My sub would be used for mostly movies.

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Now im nowhere near being an expert, so lets get that out of the way :D
But as far as i know, the port will only affect the range it is tuned for. So everything else will still sound the same.

But i could be wrong.

Anthony*gw

Stunt Coordinator
Anthony_I, so what u are saying is a 20hz tune will only get good sound in the 20-30hz range?

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Once again, Im not experienced with this stuff, but yes if it is tuned to 20Hz i think it will only affect the ranges around 20Hz Such as like 15Hz - 25Hz with 20Hz getting the biggest boost.

Also BELOW the tuning freq. your driver will bottom out really easily. (move the most with freqs. below 20Hz) and will move the least at its tuning point.

and once again to cover my ass i will state that i could be wrong.
though i do think i mostly right.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
however,if my sub is tunned to 20hz would i get good sound from lets say 40-50hz?
The port only helps the output at the tuning frequency. Everything else is done by the driver. Shiva's have very good output at 40-50Hz

Anthony*gw

Stunt Coordinator
yes but what about the higher fq like 40-50hz does the sub perform ok around those frequencies?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks