Popping sound during DVD layer changes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Preskar, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Bob Preskar

Bob Preskar Auditioning

I have the Marantz SR7200. When the layer changes occur I get a popping sound in the speakers as the audio drops out and returns. However, if I reverse the DVD to just before the layer change to get it to repeat, the layer change works fine. No popping sound. I am using Monster Cable digital coax and Sony DVPS550D DVD player. Anyone have any insight? This is an annoying problem, it really pulls you out of the movie. Also, I can't imagine that the popping is very good for the speakers (Paradigm Studio 40s, Studio CC and Studio ADPs). I have tried using an optical cable as well, to no avail. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

probably it has to do with the buffering process with the layer change.

3. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

I suspect what's really happneing is your receiver is losing lock on the audio signal, and the pop is a decode failure.
    I've seen this happen on more than one occasion, and its aggravating to say the least.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

4. Dennis B

Dennis B Stunt Coordinator

Is this related to the dropouts when listening to CD with digital input? Thx. [​IMG]
    ------------------

5. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

wow, looks like the new marantz AVRs are real junk! (no flames intended, just bringing up the truth)

6. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Surprising as this may seem, I've seen (heard) this problem on many more high-end processors than on the cheapest of receivers. The break-up occurs even when switching from one menu to another! I still don't know why this is so.
    ------------------
    The Milnoc
    News, Views, DVD Reviews.

7. John Tuttle

John Tuttle Agent

My 7200 does not pop all the time, just occasionally. I find it annoying and trying to find a way to fix it (although it is an internal thing). It has to do with the turn on circutry in the processor (not the amp since I run component). Does anyone have this problem with the 8200? My friend has the same problem with the 6200.
    I will check and see if my father's Denon 4802 does it. I believe I have heard it do it once on his unit.
    Anyone that has been around car audio for more than 10 years will have noticed this in high end amplifiers when turning them off.
    It is not damaging to the speakers, just to the ears.
    ------------------
    Jay
    My Ricemobile and Home Theater

8. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Bob, I have had a similar problem (loud noise at layer change and when switching from menus to movie on occasional DVDs) with a Denon 3802 when the input mode is set to "AUTO" -Solved it by leaving the input on PCM unless I am watching a DTS disc in which case I set DTS. So far so good.
    Chuck C,

9. Willem Vos

Willem Vos Stunt Coordinator

Luke, I've posted this in another thread, but I will repeat it: When you set your Denon 3802 to PCM mode manually, you're not getting a Dolby Digital signal anymore, but solely a PCM stereo signal.

I have the same problem you're having, and so far I've tried everything to solve it. I had a 3801 before my 3802 and it didn't have the popping sound. So it must have something to do with the DPL2 upgrade.

Still trying to solve it...