What's new

Popping sound during DVD layer changes (1 Viewer)

Bob Preskar

Auditioning
I have the Marantz SR7200. When the layer changes occur I get a popping sound in the speakers as the audio drops out and returns. However, if I reverse the DVD to just before the layer change to get it to repeat, the layer change works fine. No popping sound. I am using Monster Cable digital coax and Sony DVPS550D DVD player. Anyone have any insight? This is an annoying problem, it really pulls you out of the movie. Also, I can't imagine that the popping is very good for the speakers (Paradigm Studio 40s, Studio CC and Studio ADPs). I have tried using an optical cable as well, to no avail. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
I suspect what's really happneing is your receiver is losing lock on the audio signal, and the pop is a decode failure.
I've seen this happen on more than one occasion, and its aggravating to say the least.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
Is this related to the dropouts when listening to CD with digital input? Thx.
confused.gif

------------------

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
wow, looks like the new marantz AVRs are real junk! (no flames intended, just bringing up the truth)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Surprising as this may seem, I've seen (heard) this problem on many more high-end processors than on the cheapest of receivers. The break-up occurs even when switching from one menu to another! I still don't know why this is so.
------------------
The Milnoc
News, Views, DVD Reviews.

John Tuttle

Agent
My 7200 does not pop all the time, just occasionally. I find it annoying and trying to find a way to fix it (although it is an internal thing). It has to do with the turn on circutry in the processor (not the amp since I run component). Does anyone have this problem with the 8200? My friend has the same problem with the 6200.
I will check and see if my father's Denon 4802 does it. I believe I have heard it do it once on his unit.
Anyone that has been around car audio for more than 10 years will have noticed this in high end amplifiers when turning them off.
It is not damaging to the speakers, just to the ears.
------------------
Jay
My Ricemobile and Home Theater

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Bob, I have had a similar problem (loud noise at layer change and when switching from menus to movie on occasional DVDs) with a Denon 3802 when the input mode is set to "AUTO" -Solved it by leaving the input on PCM unless I am watching a DTS disc in which case I set DTS. So far so good.
Chuck C,
wow, looks like the new marantz AVRs are real junk! (no flames intended, just bringing up the truth)
Nice way to greet a new member. I first saw your informative/helpful post the other day. I came back a day later and was glad to see it was deleted, possibly before our new friend saw it. But, I must have misread because it's still here after all
icon13.gif

Bob, Don't worry, most people here wont dump on the new piece of fairly expensive equipment you just spent your hard earned money on without at least offering some constructive input. :)
------------------
Luke

Willem Vos

Stunt Coordinator
Luke, I've posted this in another thread, but I will repeat it: When you set your Denon 3802 to PCM mode manually, you're not getting a Dolby Digital signal anymore, but solely a PCM stereo signal.

I have the same problem you're having, and so far I've tried everything to solve it. I had a 3801 before my 3802 and it didn't have the popping sound. So it must have something to do with the DPL2 upgrade.

Still trying to solve it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks