What's new

Polyfill Question (1 Viewer)

Todd Bohlke

Agent
I have a coworker who just bought a JBL surround package from Best Buy (not sure about models). I know that I've read a lot about people using polyfill to enhance Sony subs and I imagine the same would work with the stock JBL sub that came w/ her system. Are there any links that you all know of that explains how much to use, how to insert it, & how it helps enhance bass. Thanks and Happy Holidays! :D

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator
is there a problem with the sound of her system?...it concerns me that you're trying to upgrade right after she bought the system...

russ

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Russ, it doesn't me as imho most mfg get by trying to use the smallest box they can (I guess it helps in material costs, shipping, and possibly esthetics marketting) and also usually underported as well (not including the port not being long enough for deep bass extension and usually tuned in the mid 30s). I like about 1 lb per cubic foot for most subs but what would scare me about the JBL is the history of their sub's amp going out and this might be related to the internal parts overheating. Usually this will violate the warranty of most speaker products but do so only if you can't live with the current sound.

Todd Bohlke

Agent
is there a problem with the sound of her system?...it concerns me that you're trying to upgrade right after she bought the system...
I think she's actually quite happy with it--I've just read a lot of people beef up their lower end subs w/ polyfill and thought I could cheaply get her more bass.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
The first thing to do is to find the best placement for the sub, then Calibrate them before you start modifying. ;)

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
IMO it is like Cancer once you open it up where do you stop?
I agree with the others here, dont open it, with a new sub you have a lot of listening to do before you do anything with it. Chances are that you would not hear any difference and you may do more harm than good by tweaking on it this early in the game. You will notice a change in sound over the first few months anyway as the woofer loosens up and you find the best spot and settings for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks