Polyfill Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Bohlke, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Todd Bohlke

Todd Bohlke Agent

I have a coworker who just bought a JBL surround package from Best Buy (not sure about models). I know that I've read a lot about people using polyfill to enhance Sony subs and I imagine the same would work with the stock JBL sub that came w/ her system. Are there any links that you all know of that explains how much to use, how to insert it, & how it helps enhance bass. Thanks and Happy Holidays! [​IMG]

2. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

Does the JBL already have polyfill in it?

3. Todd Bohlke

Todd Bohlke Agent

Possibly, but she didn't think so. I'll have to get her to check up on it.

4. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

is there a problem with the sound of her system?...it concerns me that you're trying to upgrade right after she bought the system...

russ

5. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Russ, it doesn't me as imho most mfg get by trying to use the smallest box they can (I guess it helps in material costs, shipping, and possibly esthetics marketting) and also usually underported as well (not including the port not being long enough for deep bass extension and usually tuned in the mid 30s). I like about 1 lb per cubic foot for most subs but what would scare me about the JBL is the history of their sub's amp going out and this might be related to the internal parts overheating. Usually this will violate the warranty of most speaker products but do so only if you can't live with the current sound.

6. Todd Bohlke

Todd Bohlke Agent

7. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

The first thing to do is to find the best placement for the sub, then Calibrate them before you start modifying. [​IMG]

8. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

IMO it is like Cancer once you open it up where do you stop?
    I agree with the others here, dont open it, with a new sub you have a lot of listening to do before you do anything with it. Chances are that you would not hear any difference and you may do more harm than good by tweaking on it this early in the game. You will notice a change in sound over the first few months anyway as the woofer loosens up and you find the best spot and settings for it.