Questions about Shiva...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Leonard B, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Leonard B

Leonard B Stunt Coordinator

Aug 11, 2002
    I've done research into building the EBS (142.5L) vented Shiva subwoofer. I will be picking up the mdf next weekend and I have a few questions. I am in Canada and Creative Sound Solutions does not sell the AVA 250 ampflifier. Adire Audio sells it for $179 US, while Parts Express sells a 250watt amplifier (4 0hm) for $128 .
    Would the Parts Express amplifier be a good choice or should I go with the AVA250?
    Should I use polyfill? I don't see any reference in the plans that refer to using polyfill and I was wondering if anyone uses it.
    Also, what should I use to seal the joints? I have read that you should not use chaulking.
    Thanks for all your help.
  2. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Dec 12, 2002
    Either of the amps you are asking about will drive your Shiva EBS just fine.

I have a Dual Shiva EBS Couch (former hide-a-bed)@ 280 liters tuned to around 17 hz that I drive to full extension with an Edge Audio plate amp that does 200 watts in the 8 ohm load that the 2 Shivas present. I have to watch how hard I push it to avoid bottoming out. Any more power would be overkill at such low frequencies.

Polyfill isn't normally suggested for a vented design. It is normal to use the fill for smaller sealed designs to make the driver see the box bigger than it actually is. I did use some eggcrate type foam glued along all the walls of my box to dampen it some.

Sealing of the box is best with ample woodworkers glue on smooth joints. I did also seal mine with a latex caulk like I have done in car audio installs for years with good results. Opinions do differ. You always want good solid construction and bracing in a bass box this powerful, but an airtight seal isn't needed since you are putting a huge 3-5 inch hole in the side of it to let out pressure. You just don't want airleaks that could eventually buzz or whistle.

If you use the PE amp get a flared port tube from them to make venting your new beast easy.

You will love the low end that you get from the EBS!

Percision Port From PE

Good luck with your project,