For Kit281 Owners - Questions

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Robert_CA, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Robert_CA

Robert_CA Stunt Coordinator

I'm about 50% through the cabinet construction on my soon-to-be Kit281 towers and I have some questions:

Is there an inexpensive alternative to using the recommended polyfil inside the vented Kit281's?

Has anyone experimented with lining the cabinet area just below the AV8's and if you did, what was the effect on the sound?

Has anyone out there done any crossover mods to improve the Kit281's performance? Just Curious.

2. Robert_CA

Robert_CA Stunt Coordinator

I'm about 50% through the cabinet construction on my soon-to-be Kit281 towers and I have some questions:

Is there an inexpensive alternative to using the recommended polyfil inside the vented Kit281's?

Has anyone experimented with lining the cabinet area just below the AV8's and if you did, what was the effect on the sound?

Has anyone out there done any crossover mods to improve the Kit281's performance? Just Curious.

3. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Inexpensive? Well I suppose there is always a more inexpensive route such as using leaves to wipe ye old tush
    instead of toilet paper.

Maybe hay? [​IMG]

4. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Inexpensive? Well I suppose there is always a more inexpensive route such as using leaves to wipe ye old tush
    instead of toilet paper.

Maybe hay? [​IMG]

5. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

An inexpensive alternative to polyfill? Isn't it dirt cheap? (2-3 dollars a bag, and you need 2?)

I'm turning my Kit281s into active speakers using a homemade (custom) electronic crossover. Once I get it to work the way I want I'll try to make it easy for other owners to do the same thing. It's promising... despite not being tweaked much, the active speaker sounds better than my other, original 281. I will post the details in this forum soon, but you can find a "progress" thread in another forum, or just send me an e-mail and I can tell you about it. I am really excited about this modification because it's allowing me to control the speaker's tone with small and cheap electronic components.

I am betting that it would be impossible to improve the present passive crossover noticeably without a significant investment. It is really well designed.

6. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

An inexpensive alternative to polyfill? Isn't it dirt cheap? (2-3 dollars a bag, and you need 2?)

I'm turning my Kit281s into active speakers using a homemade (custom) electronic crossover. Once I get it to work the way I want I'll try to make it easy for other owners to do the same thing. It's promising... despite not being tweaked much, the active speaker sounds better than my other, original 281. I will post the details in this forum soon, but you can find a "progress" thread in another forum, or just send me an e-mail and I can tell you about it. I am really excited about this modification because it's allowing me to control the speaker's tone with small and cheap electronic components.

I am betting that it would be impossible to improve the present passive crossover noticeably without a significant investment. It is really well designed.

7. Keith Outhouse

Keith Outhouse Stunt Coordinator

It's only expensive if it's sold as speaker stuffing. Very cheap at WalMart, etc. (Pillow stuffing)

8. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Check for sales at local fabric stores. I've purchased PolyFil on sale at very low prices, like $1 per bag.