What's new

Poll - popping sound with Marantz 5-6-7200 (1 Viewer)

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Out of three defective Marantz receivers I purchased and returned, two exhibited the popping noise. This noise is much louder than the quiet "tick" one hears when changing sources on other brands - it seems to be a capacitor discharge that builds after about 20 minutes of listening at average or higher volume. After sufficient time has past, changing sources or reducing the volume to zero results in a fairly loud "pop."

I'd like to find out how widespread this problem is. If you own one of the new receivers (except the 8200, which reportedly does not experience this), please report if yours has this defect or not.

Rafael Maya

Auditioning
ChristAG
That's exactly what my problems has been since the begining of time. I've had 3 units (SR7200) and all of them did the same thing, actually as I read your post I thought I was reading my own. I strongly believe that the "POP" sound is related to the "tick" you mentioned.. I'm waiting for the fix which my dealer said it would be happening at the end of this week but I'm don't want the SR7200 anymore and probably will upgrade to the SR8200 by the end of this week.
I'll keep you posted.
:)

I never really noticed the popping problem. I'll try to reproduce it on my SR5200.

In what mode does the problem seems more obvious ? Stereo, 5.1, with S-Direct ? Listening to CDs or DVDs ?

I'll let you know of my findings...

Rafael Maya

Auditioning
Patrick.

It doesn't matter what mode you have it on but if you want to know how I make myself go mad do the following; play a CD any cd, then select S-Direct and play the CD at about -20db or higher (if possible) for about 20min or 30min and turn the volume down all the way to -75db and you should have a loud "POP" from all speakers... yes all of them even if you're only playing it in true stereo. I really hope you don't have this issue.

If you turn the volume up again and down again it won't POP a second time until another 20 or 30 min have gone by.

Marantz has a kit which might fix this issue and I'll let everyone know if it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks