What's new

polk RTi vs monitor (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Greg
Hey all,

Any thoughts on Polk Audio speakers. RTi 6/8's vs monitor 50/60/70's Floor standing on a budget of $500 to $700 / pair. There seems to be some pretty good buys on theses speakers but I'm not to familiar with them. If not these any other suggestions.
Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
RTi's are the better speaker and are at close out prices as the new RTi's are being brought out. RTi8's can be found for $399 a pair, 6's for around $249 and RTi4's for $149. They don't seem to put them all on sale at the same time but if your keep looking you'll find them. I had 8's, 6's 4's and a CSi5 for a couple of years and even though they are fine speakers I felt they were a little bright so I've since replaced them. In the same price range, I've always had a fondness for the Infinity Primus series. Had a pair of 150's for a while. If you're O.K. buying on the net, ascendacoustics.com Onix XLS's from AV123.com Swan Diva's from theaudioinsider.com and Ozhometheater.com and aperionaudio.com seem to be mentioned the most around here. I bought some Diva's earlier this year. And you just missed out on some great prices on Mourdant-Short's from ac4l.com. They weren't mentioned around here much but were a pretty good bargain at the closeout prices. But of course, what sounds good to you is probably different than what sounds good to me.

Real Name
Greg
Thanks for the input.
There are so many choices I dont really know what Im after. I want the best sound for the $ Im willing to spend. I originally started at $400 and now I'm looking at klipsch and paradigm too. If I can keep it under $800 pair I dont think the little woman will be to upset.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Have you considered Paradigm? I'm partial because I own a few sets myself plus others in my family have them.

Give them a look if you have a local dealer.

Real Name
Greg
Jerry,
Actually I have considered Paradigm. Which ones do you have and what do you like about them most. I am trying to get my closest dealer to let me try them in home. I believe he will. Im considering the monitor 7's or 9's.
this will be a 2 channel stereo system and currently will be powering them with an older Technics Receiver.
G

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
First of all it's PERRY! J/K. Happens all the time.

I have the Reference Studio 60s version 3. Before purchasing Paradigm, I demoed dozens of other brands and in the end I simply found Paradigm to provide the best bang for the buck. They came out really close to a set of B&Ws, but they just sounded more real to my ear. Imaging is almost perfect and the sound isn't too bright which I find too often in other brands. I also find the overall build quality of Paradigm to be superier to any other manufacturer. They just go the extra mile when putting their product together.

How old is your Technics receiver? I would be very careful of buying a really nice set of speakers and then not putting enough electronics behind them to reach their potential. Paradigm's for the most part can get by with "ok" ampage, but you wouldn't want to cut it too close. To be honest, I think I under bought my 3803 and am only reaching about 50% of their abilities.

Real Name
Greg
Perry,
sorry about that "S" happens too. I'll get it right from now on.
The Technics is late 80's I'm not sure of the model but if you are familar with them I'll look it up. The spec sheet says 115 w per channel if that tells you anything.
sorry, I've been out of the stereo seen for a while and as a newbie looking for all info I can find. What happens if I'm a bit low on the power end?
I'm also planning on updating my receiver when $ allows. Right now I do not have any speakers...long story.
you can misspell my name if you want, then we'll be even.

Real Name
Greg
One thing that draws me to the Paradigm and Klipsch besides the sound quality IMO is there smaller overall size... but... i ordered POLK RTi8's from FRYS 2 days ago. For the price I didnt think I can go wrong. FYI frys has RTi8's for $149 each right now. I felt like thats a steal, unless the little woman aint happy with them....like I said before, she'll either be mad for a long time or get over it! I will let ya know which.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
$299 a pair is hard to beat. I got my 8's a year and a half ago for $310 a pair shipped. The web site I bought them from didn't know what it was doing. Should have been each, not a pair. Anyway, I never cared for the cherry RTi's but the black one's are quite attractive. Waiting to hear how you feel they look and sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks