What's new

Please test my new website! (1 Viewer)

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Hello everyone!
I'm currently designing my new website, and a beta version is up and running at this address:
http://artur.meinild.net/
One of the main issues about this site is cross-browser compatibility. I really want to show that you can build a rather hi-tech website with advanced image mouse-overs and dynamic html scripting (will be added), with everything build around the style sheet level 2 specification - and still maintain complete device independency (among the browsers who support the used technologies of course)...
So please check out the site with different browsers and at different resolutions, and tell me if something is not good. Remember I'm still adding features, as well as content to the site.
Thanx in advance, Artur.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Looks ok from here.

1024x768

IE6 build 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828-1920
128 bit encryption

XP Home

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
oh yeah, I forgot to mention: I have tested it myself on Netscape 6 and IE 6, but it's still nice to know that it runs on different systems... Anybody *not* using IE that want to take a look? :)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Windows 98SE, 1152x864, Explorer 5.0

Some thoughts:

I think there's too much border, there could be more room for the middle.

The horizontal grey lines on the background make it harder to read and causes the screen to vibrate.

The buttons on the navi circle pad are all greek to me. (I don't understand them)

My cursor dissapears when it goes on the grey/white navi bar. This is due to my mouse cursor setting that shows the opposite color. (transparent)

Anyways, keep up the good work.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
When I click "l" on the pad, it inserts a white bar 3cm below the circular navigation pad. All other navigation buttons work well. I am using...

IE 6.0.2600.0000
WIN XP home
XGA resolution (1024x768)

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
thanx for the feedback so far...
When I click "l" on the pad, it inserts a white bar 3cm below the circular navigation pad. All other navigation buttons work well. I am using...
Yes, that is because I still have a slight problem with the table height algorithm... I am working on a solution, because I would like to add even more graphics to the top of the page.
Now you might think: Oh no, not more graphics... But let me ask you this, how many kilobytes of graphics do you think is in use on the site right now??? Take a guess... :) (I can tell you that a screenshot of the page in 1280*1024 is 3,5 megabytes in bitmap...)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Ran fine for me ...
Windows 2000
Netscape 7 (YES! Someone happily uses something OTHER than IE!!)
1024x768

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
John, great to hear that it works fine on Netscape 7 also (now that I haven't upgraded yet)...
I love it. It's much nicer than 6.x and Netscape was not lying when they said that it's faster than 6.x. It runs surprisingly fast on my 350 MHz system at work.
I'm glad that you brought this thread up because it made me want to confirm that my site runs okay under Netscape 7/Mozilla, which (thankfully) it does. :)

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
I second the notion about the borders outside of the "pipe" being excessive. You could cut that down to 20-30 pixels and be just fine.

Also, I'd suggest using a javascript to pre-load your hover images in the Greek menu. Even if it only takes a second to download the image for the hover, it's noticeable. Pre-load those puppies since they're small.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
IE 5.0 running Windows NT4.x (I think), 17" monitor at 1024x768.
Front page: looks ok.nav wheel menu works.
Info page: big vert. gap between nav wheel and menu. gaps also at bottom right of page.
:)

I'm a minority user here - so you should enjoy my prospective.

On my flat panel studio display, running 1280x1024, my Macintosh displays the site very well using Chimera 0.5

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Also, I'd suggest using a javascript to pre-load your hover images in the Greek menu. Even if it only takes a second to download the image for the hover, it's noticeable. Pre-load those puppies since they're small.
I'm quite surprised that the images don't already preload, because they definitely should. I'll look into it! :)
Finally, a special thanx to Andrew and Adam for confirming that my site also works on Opera and Chimera! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks