What's new

Podcast Home Theater United Episode 37 - New and returning hobbyists with Todd Rice and Dave Hahn (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Episode 37

June 27, 2022 7:30 PM EST

New and returning hobbyists
Todd Rice
Dave Hahn

Reconnection:
  • Sam’s new toy: Rodecaster 2 - Robot Voices and spoiler alert
  • Mini G2 review: HGIG is still broken but movies and HDR10 gaming are glorious
New and returning hobbyists:
  • Where are you at with your current build? How long have you been assembling it?
  • Dave: What’s different in your current build from where your last one was at? You thought your last one would be the ultimate build and get you 10-20 years. What changed your thinking?
  • What do you wish someone had told you about home theater before you began? What are you still investigating? What do you wish the industry did a better job of explaining?
  • What's got you jazzed about 2022 displays, and what other tech are you adding? Is Atmos on your radar?
  • Are projectors part of your investigation? Are TVs big enough for you or do you desire and have room for bigger screens?
  • Have we reached saturation and maturity on display tech? Are you into HDR? Have you experienced it yet? Are retail vendors able to demo it well for you?
  • Do you read and participate on other forums besides HTF? Are you on AVS or Bluray.com?
  • Got an opinion on physical media vs streaming / buying digitally? Is it “And” or “Or” for you?
  • Where are you buying media? Are sites like the HTF’s WRU or HDDN’s bargain hunting useful to you?
  • Are you a movie goer? Have you returned post pandemic?
  • What do you see as the biggest home theater issues that most users are facing? It’s 2022 and we are still using one way (ie dumb) RF tech to try to coordinate all our components. How has nobody fixed this? CAN anyone ever fix it?
  • Have you dealt with multiple HDMI and USB standards? Are they as big a mess as Sam thinks it is?
Quick Good Bad and Ugly:
Sam - In the heat of the night
Todd - Measure of a Man
Dave - The Contractor

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The SLAP:

Sonos:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I forgot which one of the two guests got the Insignia TV, but I'd be curious about its performance. In the last few years, Vizio and TCL have really been shaking things up in the value category. Two years ago I got a Vizio M Series for the living room and a Vizio P Series for the HT. I had always assumed my next TV in the HT would be OLED, but thinking long term, and being somewhat frugal, spending nearly $2K for OLED as opposed to the $900 the 65" P Series cost me just didn't make sense. Currently, the TCL 6 and 5 Series seems to have a step on the P and M Series Vizio, but at the time I got the Vizios, Insignia didn't seem to be keeping pace. I wouldn't be surprised if that has changed. From what I recall in the podcast, my impression was the Insignia Series purchased was roughly in line with the Vizio M Series, which really is probably suitable for most regular viewers.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’m curious as well since I might be replacing my 12+ year old 50” Toshiba living room LCD with a new 4K display this fall. Right now, I’m thinking Vizio M series but I might be persuaded to try Insignia if they’re greatly improved from what they were.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I just saw visited with Todd today and saw he has an Insignia he was using for a bedroom TV. Was it this one? He is using it till his new c1 77”!gets delivered and put on a mantle mount
94B688D8-6D15-4ED9-94A6-A23E03B172C1.jpeg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
FYI: AppleTV streaming service app and Apple Music streaming app are both on most every streaming appliance and smart tv now.

I use Music in my 2019 LG TV all the time.

Apple’s degenerate naming confuses this, but lack of app is no longer a reason to not subscribe and watch For All Mankind and Ted Lasso. :)

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
I forgot which one of the two guests got the Insignia TV, but I'd be curious about its performance. In the last few years, Vizio and TCL have really been shaking things up in the value category. Two years ago I got a Vizio M Series for the living room and a Vizio P Series for the HT. I had always assumed my next TV in the HT would be OLED, but thinking long term, and being somewhat frugal, spending nearly $2K for OLED as opposed to the $900 the 65" P Series cost me just didn't make sense. Currently, the TCL 6 and 5 Series seems to have a step on the P and M Series Vizio, but at the time I got the Vizios, Insignia didn't seem to be keeping pace. I wouldn't be surprised if that has changed. From what I recall in the podcast, my impression was the Insignia Series purchased was roughly in line with the Vizio M Series, which really is probably suitable for most regular viewers.
That was me. I got a 75" F series Insignia from Amazon for $650. It was impressive out of the box but after calibration with Spears & Munsil I found it very nice 👍

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm seriously considering replacing my 7-year old 65" LG 4K non-HDR 3D in the living room with a TCL 6-series when it goes caput, but this is the longest-running flat panel I have owned to date, so it could be awhile. I thought of replacing it with an OLED, but the way my wife watches TV, often pausing a program for long periods of time, plus the fact that she likes a bright room to watch TV in, leans me more towards a full-array LED backlit LCD instead.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
FYI: AppleTV streaming service app and Apple Music streaming app are both on most every streaming appliance and smart tv now.

I use Music in my 2019 LG TV all the time.

Apple’s degenerate naming confuses this, but lack of app is no longer a reason to not subscribe and watch For All Mankind and Ted Lasso. :)
I just wish the Apple Music app on Roku supported Dolby Atmos.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm seriously considering replacing my 7-year old 65" LG 4K non-HDR 3D in the living room with a TCL 6-series when it goes caput, but this is the longest-running flat panel I have owned to date, so it could be awhile. I thought of replacing it with an OLED, but the way my wife watches TV, often pausing a program for long periods of time, plus the fact that she likes a bright room to watch TV in, leans me more towards a full-array LED backlit LCD instead.
One thing, unfortunately, will always keep me away from TCL TVs. At least the Roku based ones. I use OTA and they have NO direct channel access. You are forced to go through the program menu to select channels. So, no programmed channels on your Harmony.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
One thing, unfortunately, will always keep me away from TCL TVs. At least the Roku based ones. I use OTA and they have NO direct channel access. You are forced to go through the program menu to select channels. So, no programmed channels on your Harmony.
We use the Amazon Fire Recast DVR, so that won't be an issue for us. The built-in Roku could be confusing for my wife, since we use a stand-alone Roku already (and prefer to use that, since I have not had much success with ARC), but I also hate the Android/Google TV OS - my Sony that died last summer had that and it was annoying how simple things like how to check for a firmware update would suddenly be moved to a different menu.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
We use the Amazon Fire Recast DVR, so that won't be an issue for us. The built-in Roku could be confusing for my wife, since we use a stand-alone Roku already (and prefer to use that, since I have not had much success with ARC), but I also hate the Android/Google TV OS - my Sony that died last summer had that and it was annoying how simple things like how to check for a firmware update would suddenly be moved to a different menu.
I just always point that out, in case someone is using OTA and considering a TCL. It's a truly rotten limitation. When I discovered it, I hoped the Harmony would be able to select channels directly, but no luck. It really is a deal breaker for most people using OTA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks