What's new

Please suggest me a Receiver (1 Viewer)

farid717

Auditioning
Real Name
who cares
Hi Experts, I am a newbie and need your help. My living room is 16' X 15'. I like these speakers. KEF T305 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker System http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/KEFT305BLK/KEF-T305-5.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Speaker-System/1.html They cost 1600.00 in a4l. I like flat speakers because they look nice on wall next to my flat tv. Now please somebody suggest me a good receiver that will go with the speakers and will have enough power to drive the speakers. My budget is around 500. I was searching so many and got baffled. So far I looked ONKYO TX-NR616 7.2-Channel, Pioneer Elite VSX-60 7.2-Channel, Sony STR-DN1030, Pioneer SC-1222-K 7.2-Channel and do not know the differences. I liked the Sony's built in wi-fi though. Question: Since the speakers are 5.1 is it a waste (or too much) to buy 7.2 receiver? Please suggest me a best one within my price range. Thanks in advance

Real Name
Jason Higgins
When you say you like those KEF speakers, did you hear them? Or do you mean you like them for their looks? With the receivers, I would go for the Pioneer SC-1222-K 7.2. (But isn't this one out of your price range?). It has lots of power and will drive the speakers better then the other 3. I'm not sure how the Sony can claim 145w a channel on a receiver that weighs only 24 lbs. The Onkyo is too cheap. You really do get what you pay for with the pricing of the receivers you've listed.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Almost nobody has heard the KEF T series prior to buying them. They get good reviews though. As for AVR... What are you connecting to the AVR.? Wii? DVD? PS3? Computer? And since when is "Onkyo too cheap"??? I'm sure everybody on this forum would like to know why "Onkyo is too cheap"....that owns one.

farid717

Auditioning
Real Name
who cares
Porcupinepuffer, Thank you very much for the reply. I did not hear the speakers, I like them only for the looks. But I read lot of reviews about those speakers and they saying these are good. I also read that people saying wall speakers are not as good as bookshelf or floor stnading speakers but its ok, I can compromise the quality a little for the look. I am connecting my HTPC with the speakers and the main use of the speakers to watch 3d and hd movies and listening musics. I do not have a PS3 or Wii yet but may be I'll buy one later on. My price range for the receiver is 500.00 but may be I can go a bit higher for quality and power. The name of the receivers I mentioned just for a reference. Your suggestion doesn't have to be within these. If you have a better one in mind please let me know. Thanks again.

farid717

Auditioning
Real Name
who cares
schan1269, Thanks. But speak up. Give a good receiver. Also please answer this question: Since the speakers are 5.1 is it a waste (or too much) to buy 7.2 receiver? I am connecting my HTPC with the speakers and the main use of the speakers to watch 3d and hd movies and listening musics. I am running those movies directly from my HTPC. Note: My display is Samsung 55" 8000 series LED TV.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If all your devices are HDMI...and not many of them... You don't need a $500 AVR. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTRC330/Onkyo-HT-RC330-5.1-CHANNEL-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER/1.html?c=t5 More than plenty.

Real Name
Jason Higgins
schan1269 said:
I'm sure everybody on this forum would like to know why "Onkyo is too cheap"....that owns one.
I was referring to the model listed. Not the name in general. It can be obtained under $379. This model seems to come with manufacturing defects that make almost as many people hate it as those who like it. The 1222 blows it away.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And before you ask...60w per channel(granted rated at two channels) is more than enough. Unless you are trying to rock the house, 60 is plenty. Being 91db efficient...they only need 10 to reach 101 db. And even if you consider this AVR only has 40w(once all 5 channels are running...) Those speakers are still going to get to 107db. Their maximum output is 110...which would be 80 watts. So....40 watts gets you to 107. You'd need 80 to reach 110. 107 is already "your neighbor can hear it".

farid717

Auditioning
Real Name
who cares
Thank you schan1269 The receiver looks ok to me. It is cheaper as well. I do not have that many component to connect with. Think this will be alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks