What's new

please recommend a sub for my budget system (1 Viewer)

Jack Keck

Second Unit
Out of curiosity, a number of questions that might help others while looking for low dollar subs.... The Sony is touted as the king here and though ugly IMO, seems it deserves it ranking rightly so from the reviews.

1)- Hows the build quailty?
People remember were talking about a 99.00 sub here in the PE ~ DLS.
__________________________________________________ ________

Seems to be OK. Nothing has fallen off so far.

2)- Looks & fit n finish, ugly, ok, nice, etc. What ever you think as it's in your home.
Very plain. Flat black finish. NOt gaudy, though.

3) How big of area are you trying to fill with bass?
__________________________________________________ _________
The basement of a 28' X 22' house. This is probably not enough sub to do the job. I'd like to hear from someone who has used this in a smaller room.

4)- Im only guessing but the 25hz sound you speak of is probley a combination of real sound & harmonics. When watching heavy bass movies is it able to keep up volume wise with the rest of your system when playing it at louder levels?
(Of course we know nothing of the rest of your system so your mains and where your crossing over to the sub would help here)
My system consists of a Pioneer VSX 709 receiver, Polk Monitor 7 mains, and Marantz surrounds. I run a phantom center. I haven't watched enough bass heavy movies to give you an intelligent answer. However, I did expect more when I played my PLANET DRUM cd by Mickey Hart.

5)- Have you heard the Sony on some one eles system?
Not in the store as it's usually the worst place to get a real feel for it's abilitys?
__________________________________________________ __________
No, I've never heard any sub in anyone else's system except for a KLH that was purchased from Sam's Club. And that was a long time ago, so I can't really compare them. I wouldn't mind hearing my sub in a shoot-out with the Sony or even a more expensive sub, like an SVS, Adire, or Hsu, if only to find out what I'm missing.

6)- And the most important question is: Do you feel you got your money worth (or maybe even more) with the 10"-DLS sub?????
Doggone it, now I'll have to rent Episode I again and play it without the sub to answer that.

Sorry for the length of questions but this may help others get a better feel for this extrem budget *PRICED* 10"~sub.
Uh, the notion that my answers may help others is the reason you should NOT be sorry about the length of your questions.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
After re-reading my last post and also Paul's first one, it occured to me that my answers to questions in a previous post by Geof, I think, were not terrilbly helpful, which I regret because there should be interest in this sub if only because of it's price. My main speakers have decent bass to start with. They have a 6.5" woofer and a 10" passive radiator. Someone with satillite sized speakers would notice more of a difference with this sub than I did.

The main problem is my lack of experience with other subs. The point was made that a store is not a good place to audition subs, and that is the only place whereI've heard any. So any intelligent comparison is out of the question.

Lastly, my measuerments were made at a time when the sub was in a corner. I moved the receiver, which necessitated moving the sub. Measurements were taken at my listening position. They did indicate a bigger difference in the bass than I heard.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Yah me again Jack, :b

Did you add the correction values for your sub measurments when taking them with the Stryke disc and the Rat Shack meter?

I couldn't tell if you did or not from your post.

Also thats a good sized area (many would consider it quite large) your trying to fill with the DLS-10!

Dose your room have openings in it allowing for bass escape, or is it an enclosed room?

Thanks
Geoff

Jack Keck

Second Unit
I never added correction to my measurements. From all indications, adding corrections would indicate that I'm running my sub even hotter than my graph indicates.
My basement is basically open with a room with small areas walled off for the furnace and launrdy area. Yes, it is a big area to fill, probably too big for my DSL. I bought it simply to hear what differce any sub might make.
OK. I had the bug and that was all I could afford at the time.
I just bought a new tv last night. Once I have that set up, I hope to spend more time watching DVDs and listening to music. Widescreen movies on a 27" tv weren't doing it for me.:thumbsdown: I have a Sanyo DVD player and a Sony carousel cd player. there is no tt input on my receiver, so it is upstairs with my old integrated amp plugged into my computer for burning cd-rs. My most recent probject has been burning my Studio der Fruhen Musik lps. This is great music, but NOT a workout for a subwoofer. I think B--- cubes might be sufficient for the bass on these.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks