please recommend a sub for my budget system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_B, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Paul_B

Paul_B Agent

already have an M&K 350THX in the other room [​IMG]
    here's what the budget system consists of so far:
    receiver: HK AVR-220
    speakers: JBL NSP1
    DVD: Panasonic RP82S
    I'm looking for a high bang for the buck budget powered sub that can be had new or used for under $250 (under $200 preferred). browsing audioreview, the following seem worth looking at:
    Sony SA-WM40
    Acoustic Research S108PS
    Paradigm PDR-10
    any comments on these or any other recommendations that meet the requirement and go well with the other components?
    thanks in advance!

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

3. Paul_B

Paul_B Agent

Dustin,
    thanks for the recommendation [​IMG] actually, I'm going to need to place an order with Parts Express anyway. never considered them as a source for a sub.
    by the way gang, I realize that I need to listen to subs and make up my own mind (have given that advice myself) just looking for some recommendations to start with.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Won't knock your socks off output wise. But reports from a friend who has one say it sounds pretty decent. And for $100 that's doing pretty good I'd say.

5. Paul_B

Paul_B Agent

the DLS sure seems like a bargain. the Sony WM40 seems to be a good one as well. doesn't look as well made, though. will have the see the Sony up close because from the pics I've seen, it doesn't appear to have an adjustable crossover.

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Given what you've listed I'd assume you'd just be using the crossover in your receiver and want to bypass the crossover in the sub anyways.

7. Paul_B

Paul_B Agent

true but sometimes it's better to use the crossover in the sub. some are better than others. I suppose in this price range, none of the subs have 18dB crossovers. [​IMG]

8. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I think you cant beat the SA-WM50, you can find it for $150 in the net. It sounds very good for the money.

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well the HS series amps from Adire have decent crossovers in them. Rel, Aerial and a few others have excellent crossovers in them.

Quite a few subs have decent low pass filters, but with the above exceptions, they have aweful high pass filters (fixed and low quality).

10. Paul_B

Paul_B Agent

well, the back of the DLS looks a lot like the back of the monitor audio ASW-110 I had a couple of years ago. variable crossover and phase shift. while the Sony may have more boom, the DLS seems to be more on the side of audiophile.
    [​IMG]
    searching this forum, I see a lot of posts recommending the DLS but no actual user experiences posted. has anyone actually been brave enough to purchase this $99 sub?

11. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

At your prefered budget of 200.00 why not go with 2-DLS subs.

Will offer more output (stacked and corner loaded) and you could experiment with stuffing one of them with Polyfill to drop the tuning point slightly. I'd start with around a pound of it.

Stack them in a corner and take freq & spl measurements of ~{each buy itself}~ to see whats happening with the added poly. You should be able to drop the tuning point at least a few hertz and gain a little more extension. Also would allow (with two subs to experiment with different sub locations in the room to help with possible mode problems. Though corner placed and stacked will get you the most natural room gain and exciet the most freqs.

Just a thought,,, and of course you said you need to place an order with PE anyway. Also you can return them if un-happy and not take a killing on the shipping, their not terrible heavy so the cost should not be to bad.

EDIT: Well they weigh more than I thought, 45lbs, says it's at least a relativly well built sub.

You also might look at the 15"-DVC non powered flat kit,(299.00) or the 12"-DVC non powered if you have an old receiver laying around to power it. Yes slightly over your budget for the 15" buy 50.00 but a step up in performance. Maybe worth consideration....

Try a search on the PE board for info on the DLS and what owners might have to say. Might be something their as far as what people have to say that own or have heard the DLS sub.

Good Luck
    Geoff

12. Chess Martin

Chess Martin Agent

the Sony SA-WM40 does have a phase switch...as well as a 50-170 HZ crossover, gain control, preamp in AND OUT in case you want to line em up, and a 7 minute auto-off switch.
    the only thing the DLS seems to have that the Sony doesn't, based on what I see above, is binding posts instead of clips...but i don't think many people will use them anyway...at least i don't.
    i've had the SA-WM40 for about 2 years now and once you get it properly placed (in a corner with 8"-10" to breath) and get the crossover in your receiver set, there simply is nothing even close in the bang/buck segment. it goes low enough that i can sometimes feel it from 12 feet away without actually hearing it, but that's subjective. on the SPL it sounds pretty solid down to about 25 HZ in a roughly 17' x 25' room.
    i'd recommend getting $1.50 worth of polyfill to stuff in there. just take out the 12" driver and put in about 2/3 of a bag. cleans the sub up nicely, and i would recommend it for any budget sub.
    the Sony's not the end-all be-all, but in my humble opinion (after several years of living with it) the SA-WM40 sounds several orders of magnitude better than any sub within $150 or so.
    contrary to the post above, it's very very solidly built, but i will admit that it's not the prettiest piece of equipment in the world...in fact, it looks "cheap". i have a thin cloth covering mine with a plant on top. it's a pretty decent disguise and covers the sony label to boot. most people just assume it's an Energy sub to match the rest of my speakers.
    $163 shipped (www.shopsunshine.com). i happen to know because i just looked it up for a friend.
    either way you go, good luck.

13. Jeff_M

Jeff_M Stunt Coordinator

For my money, I'd go with an Audiosource SW15 stuffed with polyfill. I watched Monsters Inc last night, and the bass output was nice and clean, but very powerful as well. I almost started second guessing whether I'd need the two SVS 20-39PC+'s I ordered!

14. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Jeff dose bring up a good point. The big 15" Audio Source goes threw Ubid allot very cheap!!

A ton of reviews on this sub with cheap modifcations that people have done to make it sound even better. Speaking of reviews over at Audio Review.com....

The one thing about this sub is it's LARGE!!! Allot of people comment on how much bigger it is once it arrives even though they new the measurements ahead of time..

15. Chess Martin

Chess Martin Agent

16. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I have the DLS sub. I measuerd it with a Stryke Audio disc and RS SPL meter. It makes noise down to 25 hz., which I would imagine is substantially lower than your mains. It has a peak at around 36 hz. I have not corrected this for the error in ther RS meter. I have not tried any modifications such as polyfill. Maybe next month when the warranty expires.[​IMG] I'm using it in a basement that is not partitioned. Due to the lack of a long enough cable from my receiver, I can't place it in a corner, where it probably should go.
    When I measured my system with and without the sub, the difference is apparent, but it is not so obvious when I play music for it.
    The shipping ran me $14.00.
    Hope this helps.

17. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I just purchased the Sony SW-40 and it is a fantastic sub at the $200 price point. I highly recommend it as a budget sub, it would compliment your system well.

As stated above, be sure and put some poly-fill (walmart - $1.99) in there to insulate the case and it delivers a real clean bass.

GL!

18. Joe_B_M

Joe_B_M Extra

Don't forget the review of the Sony at cheaphometheater.com. They really liked it.

19. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Jack,

Not being corner loaded you certainly will notice a big spl gain once you get it to a corner. Be sure to measure your freq response where it s now and once you can get into the corner.

Out of curiosity, a number of questions that might help others while looking for low dollar subs.... The Sony is touted as the king here and though ugly IMO, seems it deserves it ranking rightly so from the reviews.

1)- Hows the build quailty?
    People remember were talking about a 99.00 sub here in the PE ~ DLS.

2)- Looks & fit n finish, ugly, ok, nice, etc. What ever you think as it's in your home.

3) How big of area are you trying to fill with bass?

4)- Im only guessing but the 25hz sound you speak of is probley a combination of real sound & harmonics. When watching heavy bass movies is it able to keep up volume wise with the rest of your system when playing it at louder levels?
    (Of course we know nothing of the rest of your system so your mains and where your crossing over to the sub would help here)

5)- Have you heard the Sony on some one eles system?
    Not in the store as it's usually the worst place to get a real feel for it's abilitys?

6)- And the most important question is: Do you feel you got your money worth (or maybe even more) with the 10"-DLS sub?????

Sorry for the length of questions but this may help others get a better feel for this extrem budget *PRICED* 10"~sub.

Regards
    Geof

20. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

Someone in the hardware for sale is selling a HTD level 3 sub for $100 plus shiping. Says it's brand new. I'd bet that would do well against the Sony. You might want to check that out.