What's new

Please help with TV/Media storage set-up (1 Viewer)

Robin999

Auditioning
Real Name
Robin
Hi,
As you will probably be able to tell, I am a complete newbie when it comes to this...
I am looking to buy a new TV - I don't want a very big one (like 32 inches), I want freeview, streaming and all that which I think pretty much comes as standard now but one thing I def need is for it to be able to play movies that are in a mp4 format.
I have ripped a lot of my DVDs onto mp4 format and I am looking for the best way to store them and view them on the TV.
What do you think are the best TVs for this, best thing to store the MP4s on and is it possible to be able to view them on any TVs in a nice browser menu interface like you get on Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc? I would like the DVD front covers to be shown and to be able to search for titles and browse by genre.
Thanks,
Rob

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I'm not an expert on this, but my first thought would be getting a Roku TV and installing the Plex app from the Roku app store then running Plex from your PC.
This is basically what I do. I got a great deal on a Dell server last year and built myself a PLEX server running on FreeNAS (though for about six months I ran PLEX just fine on my Windows desktop PC), and I have a Roku stick on my main television and I have a Roku TV in the bedroom. It works great. So far I have about half my DVDs on the PLEX server.
---------------

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I use iTunes and AppleTVs to do exactly what you want, but I use Macs at home and work. So, no need for any special hardware, other than the drive space.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
A 32" is almost a waste of money IMHO unless your sit right up against the TV. If your setup is in the living room, something in the 50-60" range would be in the right ballpark. If you have to go the budget route, the TCL P Series 607/605 (the 605 is at Best Buy) is one of the better lower end displays.

It includes Roku streaming, 4k, and even Dolby Vision support.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks