Please help me build my HT

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Hoang, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Hoang

Hoang Auditioning

Hello all,

I'm just getting into HT and need your advice and opinions. I currently have a very low-end receiver that is only used for audio...no surround sound yet. I would like to replace this with a pre/pro and amp. The speakers I have right now are also very old...Cerwin Vega D-9. I will keep these for the time being.

I would like everyone's opinion on what pre/pro and amp I should get. I plan on starting with this first then move on to adding/replacing speakers later on. I would like to spend about $1500-2000 for the pre/pro and amp. I have started looking at Rotel, Parasound, B&K and others. I would like my equipment to be reliable also.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hoang

2. Hoang

Hoang Auditioning

I forgot to mention that I wouldn't mind buying used, but of course I would prefer new (anyone would, right?). Thanks

3. Hoang

Hoang Auditioning

please help....anyone

4. John S

John S Producer

For that sort of money, go get a Denon 4803 and don't look back, and actually for $640 people here have been getting the 3803, it is a better deal at that price point. Good luck with the purchase.

If you really are going separates, you will be doing a fair amount of homework in that price range to get what you want.

5. gregD

gregD Second Unit

In that price range, the only option for new separates is Outlaw... the next step up is Rotel, but there the budget moves up to $2500 minimum.

Audiogon and the 'For Sale' portion of this forum are good places to look for used gear... but always take precautions when trading online.