Please Help, confused. Info wanted!!!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Evan S, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

OK, don't flame me. I've been a member of this forum for almost 3 years and I know how to use the search function. I've even checked the HTF basics primer.

However, I cannot find an easy, convenient location to find the plusses and minuses of the various technologies available (projection, DLP, CRT, LCOS, Plasma, etc).

I have nearly 11K invested in my home theater, but I watch movies on a $400 27" TV. I need to rectify this by the start of the NFL season.

How will I use the TV? 60% DVD/30%TV/10% gaming. I doubt burn in will be an issue as I rarely play my X-Box more than an hour at a time.

I'm looking for a display format that gets the best picture without a lot of tweeking. Down the road I will get it ISF calibrated, but probably not right away. My room is 23x21 and has very good light control (finished basement). I have thought about front projection, but from where I would have to mount the projector (11'), it seems the picture size will be little bigger than what I can get from a regular TV.

Oh yeah, my budget is $3000-$3500 max. If you can link me to a FAQ or offer suggestions, that would be great. I realize there is a thread out there that is similar to this one, but I really want to educate myself along with narrowing my choices down, I don't just want a bunch of suggestions. Thanks guys (and gals!).

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

In you price range LCOS and plasma are probably not an option. That didn't point you anywhere but it narrowed the search didn't it? [​IMG]

Mort

3. John S

John S Producer

You may find some basic info on it....

But when I actually went to look at the Brick and Mortor stores, I found you cannot generalize on technology. Every different set has it's +'s and -'s on various aspects of picture quality and quirks.

I looked at 100's (no not a misprint) of HDTV's, before deciding on my price / performance / size / inputs compromise.

In the end, I spent much less than my budget and so far, I am completely happy with the purchase. If for no other reason, I understood the trade off's with the one I chose really well by the time I purchased it.

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

Depends on the projector of course, but from where my InFocus 4805 sits at about 11 feet away, I get a 73" diagonal, 16:9 image and that's at about the 1.0X zoom setting. With the zoom ring at max I'd get about an 85" diagonal. I'd say that's a significant increase from a regular TV. I don't think the 4805 is unusual in its throw distance, so I'd say seriously consider front projection.