What's new

Playstation 2 Optical cable question. (1 Viewer)

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I have a PS2 and wanted to hook it up to my surround. I have a Marantz 7300 receiver and am running a optical cable from the PS2 to the receiver. My receiver has a little square on the display that shows the speakers being used. When watching a DVD all the speakers light up. Here is where my problem is. Since I hooked the PS2 with a optical shouldn't all the speakers light up. At first I thought it was the game(GT3). I looked on the back and it don't support Dolby Pro Logic. So I put in Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003. It does use DPL. THe speaker lights still don't light up. I thought it might be because I still had the red&white rca cables hooked to the tv. So I unpluged them and no change. Can I use both the optical and rca cables? I plan on running the rca straight to the tv so when I don't want to listen in stereo I can just use tv speakers. I can still hear sound come out the rears but I don't think it's hooked up right or all the lights would come on. What do I do. Thanks in advance.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
You can use both the optical and RCA cables, but it's only going to help you with the few games that can't take advantage of the optical cables.

Did you change the sound settings in the game? Optical or RCA is only the transport mechanism, if your receiver isn't being told to use a given set of speakers, it's not going to.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
when running dolby prologic only the initial speakers being fed should light up. for example with GTA3 since its a stereo signal only and same for Tiger Woods which is a stero signal which has been mixed so that it will sound good with DPL you will still only get the two speakers lighting up.

the lights for speakers only represent the discrete signals not the matrixed ones that DPL gives you.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
The source for PS2 games will always be stereo, except for the few that use DTS in game or DD for cut scenes.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Well, you'll have to make sure you have pro logic or pro logic ii processing turned on.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Thanks everyone I understand a little better now. So was it a waste of money to but the optical cable for my PS2?

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Not at all some games like GTA:VC have 4.1 DTS and all your dvd movies will stil play in surround.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
hey even if you did waste the money eventually (since you are on thsi board afterall) you would find a use for the cable :)

hell it took me 3 years, but i found a use for the digital coax cable i bought by mistake once :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks