What's new

Placement of Rear Speakers (1 Viewer)

Vike

Auditioning
I'm in the process of putting together a HT in my house. The space is somewhat small. I will have a mounted plasma tv and a sofa about 11 ft from it against the back wall. The dilema that I have is that I will need to put my rear speaker right by the back couch. I will be using in wall speakers

So, where do I put them? In ceiling? in the back wall? For either suggestion, where far do you put them from the 'sweet spot/couch?'

I'm thinking of Infinity ERSHV 250s for the center and fronts. No sense of what I'll do w/the rear.. suggestions?

I have not purchased my reciever yet...but my budget is low around $600 for that.. so I'm thinking Yamaha as a brand that I'm familiar with.

Thanks for your help!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I would put the rears in the side walls(1st choice)about 2 feet above ear level when seated, or ceiling(2nd choice).

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Take a look here. Usually, you want the speakers a couple feet behind the listening position and also a couple feet forward of the rear wall, and as Jim said, a few feet above ear level. It sounds like you do not have that option because of limited space, so do the best you can. Also, most here try to stay away from inwall speakers, but we do recognize there is usually a WAF (wife approval factor) to deal with. It's a common situation proposed by people on their first home theaters and comes up often. Do a search for inwall or surround and you should find a few threads with recommendations. There are definitely better options among the inwall speakers, some of which are recommended by experienced HTF'ers. I think I remember a thread in the last week or so on it, so you should try looking here and in the audio/speaker forums at the threads from the last 7 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks