What's new

Pirates Of The caribbean - BR, the reviews are rolling in (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

I didn't say "better stereo imaging": I said I thought it sounded "better" which is a composite opinion. So far, every BD disc I've heard comparing the PCM downmixed to 2.0 to the discrete 5.1 lossy track, I've preferred the PCM downmixed to 2.0, all things considered. And I've had many other folks write me and say the same thing!

Yes, the surround and image-placement is better "locked" with the discrete. But the *fidelity* of the lossless track is genuinely better even when playing the 2.0 PCM downmix back in ProLogicII (which is a very good algorithm). It's the difference between something that has superior imaging but sounds "slighlty veiled" versus something that sounds a little less solidly locked image-wise but sounds *real*. I go for real. So has every friend I've had over to do the switch back/forth (careful to level-match).

Lots of folks have discovered this actually. I spent about 20 minutes flipping back/forth with each Blu-ray disc that I've reviewed and thus far with each one I prefered the 2.0 PCM mix in ProLogic over the 5.1 lossy DD 640 track.

I think we would both agree that HDMI 5.1 PCM would be the best yet. Saving my pennies for a new receiver!

dave :)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I spent a few hours with Pirates last night flipping back and forth between the down mixed PCM and the Dolby Digital track and frankly I much preferred the Dolby track. I've never been a fan of matrixed multi channel audio. I haven't yet hooked up the 5.1 analog outs to my receiver so I couldn't tell you if my problem with it is just the down mix. I'll probably set that up tonight and do a little listening. But as for the PCM down mix out through Prologic II, I'm going to have to beg to differ with you on this.

Doug

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Feel free to differ away!

Comparisons like this could also be very dependent on source material and also system/equipment. In my system so far, it's surprised me how consistently I prefer the "realism" of the PCM sound... even when downmixed.

But I do hear the superior imaging of the discrete lossy mix, so naturally what I want is the best of both worlds...

p.s. what's your audio system like? My decoder is a B&K AVR 202 that's been upgraded to a "reference 30" processor and d/a side. Right now I use an NAD amp for the front L/R channels and the B&K integrated amps for the center and sorrounds (I also need to get an amp for 7.1 processing... which the decoder can do). Speakers are those Rocket Onyx speakers which sound pretty good (replaced my Dynaudio contour 1.8s).

BTW, the sound quality sounded closer (between the PCM and lossy DD) on my friend's system which consists of a lexicon processor/amp and B&W matrix series speakers (very high end compared to what I've got). The realism of the PCM track still sounded better... but the gap didn't seem as wide as what I hear in my own system. His lexicon, for all its wonders, lacks HDMI in/out so we were limited to SPDIF digital just like with my receiver.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I don't have anything that anyone would call an audiophile system. I have JBL Venue Series speakers a Sony recever. The one nice thing about the Sony is that it has analog multi channel in so I can take advantage of the analog out on both my Toshiba and my Samsung HD players. Right now I don't have the space or the money to do much else. About the only thing I'm really interested in right now is a new receiver that will decode True HD.

Doug

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
With those new Onkyo's doing TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, it's just a matter of time before these new codecs show up in all our HT gear.

I remember in the late 1990's how quickly Dolby Digital and DTS spread. One day it was all ProLogic, and the next it was Dolby Digital/DTS.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Yeah I'm seriously considering one of the Onkyo's. Depends on what business is like in the next few months. I might be able to afford it.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

No, I didn't. I had heard of a few people trying this but I don't think I've ever gotten around to giving it a shot. Hopefully I'll have time to try it tonight and I'll be sure to let you know.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Again using the PS3 I was able to very quickly, in 5 consecutive presses of R1, bypass all of the trailers and DVD piracy warnings. I wouldn't say it took any longer than 2-3 seconds to get around them and then the menu loaded in roughly the same amount of time.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I to can not wait to get a new receiver with the new decoding built into it. But I doubt I would go with an Onkyo as I have not been impressed with there product in a long time now. I can not wait to critical listening to the new Denon's and Pioneer Elite's once they are available.

I am ready to pick up both Pirate movies from fry's as I saw them for $27 each. So as soon as I get paid tomorrow I will be off to buy those two movies on Blu-ray. :D

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched a bit of POTC:TCOTBP yesterday. Due to the lateness of the hour I didn't watch the whole thing. Just enough to notice that the rave reviews for PQ and AQ are well deserved. The picture looked fantastic and the sound kicked some serious ass. I listened to the PCM track in plain old Prologic, not PrologicII, and it sounded pretty good to me. The DD track sounded pretty good as well. I slightly preferred the sound of the PCM track; although the DD track had better localization of sound effects. The PCM track sounded "fuller" and more natural to me. The DD sounds flatter and slightly "dead" in the mid and upper frequencies....at least to me; although, it is still a pretty good sounding track. Of course, I use bi-polars in my rig which would probably cause large gouts of blood to shoot out of an audiophile's ears, but they sound pretty good to me. I like the large soundstage they create.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Edwin,

when you praise the localization of the DD lossy mix, are you listening to lossless PCM in 5.1 or 2.0 mode?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
With PCM I'm listening in 2.0 mode. The localization I was talking about was when I'm in 5.1 DD mode and is mostly related to discreet sounds in the rears. I find the PCM track sounds more natural across the front soundstage than the DD mix. I'm lousy at describing my impressions of these tracks, but to me the dialogue in PCM sounds better. Actor's voices just seem to be more natural and warmer sounding than the DD track.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

David,

I finely got the chance to hook up the multi channel analogs to my receiver. So I did some a/b last night on Dead Man's Chest. I could hear minor differences between the DD track and the PCM in some parts of the movie, but not enough for it to be a very big deal to me. If anything it convinced me of how good a standard DD track can really sound compared to the "original" PCM. That is of course assuming they are actually the same mix.

And again I don't have what you might call an audiophile system.

Doug

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Just pulled the trigger and picked up both Pirate movies on Blu-ray from Fry's for $26.99 each. :D They had a decent number of copies on the shelf of both movies. I can not wait to buy Worlds End on Blu-ray so I have the trilogy in HD! :emoji_thumbsup:

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Mine is not high end either.
Sony 444ES
7.1 system(only using 5.1 for now) of Phase Tech Velocity Speakers.
No sub for now.
PS3 feeding it via optical
2 channel PCM converted to DPL

The difference between PCM and the DD track is staggering. It aint even close. The big difference for me is the stereo seperation and the dynamics.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Shane,

which sounds better in your system? (you didn't actually say ;) ) Lossy Dolby in native 5.1 or the PCM downmixed to 2.0 played back via PL II?

On my friend's Lexicon/BW system we still preferred the 2.0 PCM lossless mix via PLII. I was amazed by the directionality/fideltiy of the suround via his processor from the 2.0 source (naturally, the Lex is a cut above the typical surround-processor, though I still have preferred 2.0 lossless in PLII on my BK processor over lossy 5.1 DD even at 640, though the image-placement of 5.1 is still superior but not enough to make me want to sacrifice the increase in fidelity and low-level-detail of the PCM).

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
So i just got a Sony BD player. Sweet machine. Reminds me of my Sony 7700 DVD player for build quality. Only problem was my first disc was Pirates, and guess what it wont play, cause my new machine doesn't have the latest updates. Guess i will let you know how it looks in 7 to 10 working days when my firmware disc gets here.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
black pearl (br) sets off my denon's auto rear suurounds.
was this encoded that way or is this just a glitch with the disc and my denon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks