What's new

Pirates Of The caribbean - BR, the reviews are rolling in (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
POTC: DMC is really the best yet on any format. Truly remarkable.

Supposedly Apocalypto looks amazing as well.

This is pleasantly surprising me that Disney is the stud of BR. Who would have thought it after they consistently screw up DVD releases that aren't animation?

Bravo!

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Mine shipped yesterday so I should get 'em tomorrow. Based on the great reviews at the other websites I'm now really hyped.

With just recieving the Matrix set and now Pirates 1 and 2, Apocalypto, Mission Impossible and Letters From Iwo Jima arriving tomorrow....... :eek: I wish every Tuesday had this much HD/BD content. :D

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

So the question is... what do you watch first? :)

Personally I'll watch the POTC films since the last film comes out Friday. But if that weren't the case I would definitely be watching Letters From Iwo Jima followed closely by the Matrix trilogy.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually taking an hour off today to go to the local BB when it opens to pick these up.

Of course, the software/media buyer for this store is a moron (according to a friend who used to work there) so with my luck there will be no copies. :rolleyes

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Carlo if your BB does not have POTC on Bluray and you live close to a Fry's try them. My local Fry's does a decent job at stocking Blu-ray's.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
For we HD DVD only guys, please don't report back how hot "Elizabeth" looks in Blu-ray. I don't know if I will be able to take it. :D

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Watched Curse of the Black Pearl last night and the reviews were spot on! This is an amazing looking title with some terrific audio/video. The movie showed off all the fine details of the film version even leaving in some small amount of the film grain which I was a little afraid might have been DVNR'ed out. Very nicely done! I would highly recommended it to anyone with even a casual interest in this film.

Tonight I'll be watching Dead Man's Chest and quite frankly expect the same quality. Disney is really setting the bar high for HD media.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
How was the audio Chris S? I am assuming that it was released in 5.1 PCM. I can not wait to get my hands on both of the Pirate movies in HD. I am hoping that Worlds End will be released in HD at the end of the year with the DVD release.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I work really close to the Fry's off I-17 and Thunderbird so I will be checking on stock there to see if they will have many copies or not when I get paid on friday. ;)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I spent WAY too much money yesterday. I got both Pirates films on Blu-ray, Flag of our Fathers on HD DVD and The Good German on SD DVD!!! Yikes!!!

Doug

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Be looking for that post as I live closer to the TBird Fry's then the Tempe one. My Grand daughter just cracked my copy I purchased from Amazon.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Oh man that sucks. Looks like you need to put your collection up high where the grand kids can't get to it!

Doug

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

The audio was really good although I don't have a system configuration at the moment that allows for playback of the full PCM track. Even so I was very pleased with what I heard.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Chris,

did you do the 2.0-surround thing from the PCM mix? I dont' have 5.1 PCM over HDMI just yet... but in the meantime PCM dowmixed to 2.0 over SPDIF played back in ProLogicII sounds BETTER than lossy DD or DTS at any bit-rate!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Oh come on David. Are you trying to tell me that a 2 channel signal using a dolby matrix to create a 4 channel out put is going to have better stereo imaging than a discrete Dolby Digital signal? That just strains credibility to the breaking point.

Doug

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Watched PotC: CotBP last night. Nice upgrade from the pretty ugly SD DVD, but it didn't blow my socks off. Didn't get to really crank the sound because I didn't start until after 9 PM and want to stay on my neighbor's good side.

POTC - Curse of the Black Pearl looks and sounds great running 1080p to the Sony Pearl and PCM 5.1 out on the BDP-S1. This is one of the best discs I've seen to date.

I've only watched about 20 minutes, after having to upgrade the firmware to 1.60. Seems the BD-Java apps that run the menus are REALLY huge files and slows the player's interface waaaay down. (We early adopters!).

The menus are very cool, but a part of me prefers a good transfer without all the gimmicks.

I couldn't skip the trailers like I usually can on Disney Blu-ray, so I just fast forwarded and that worked okay, though there was still a long delay for the menu to load.

Anyone else having these probs?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks