What's new

Pioneer VSX-D811S Dolby Digital Ex not being recognized (1 Viewer)

RobPelletier

Auditioning
I set the 6.1 mode to auto so that it plays regular 5.1 dolby digital and DTS tracks as is, but will automatically recognize a DTS-ES or DD-EX track. It seems to recognize the DTS-ES tracks without any problem, but it simply does not recognize the DD-EX track at all. The display light on the receiver that indicates the the back channel is receiving a signal also does not light up. The discs I have tried are Cast Away, Star Wars I and II, and LOTR extended edition. Both Cast Away and LOTR have both DD-EX and DTS-ES tracks. The receiver recognizes the extra channel for the DTS-ES track on both, but will not recognize the extra channel for DD-EX. Is there something else I should check or do I have a defective receiver? Anyone else know why this happens or has had the same problem please reply.
-Rob

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
no the flag is not set for many 6.1 dvds, if it is not set, it looks like 5.1
Damn those lazy programmers!

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I'm not sure what DVD's have the DD EX flag but I remember correctly Pearl Harbor French track has it incorrectly put on there. So if you have this disc try the 5.1 French track and your receiver will engage the EX automatically.

Wes

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Rob,
The flagging caused problems with some receivers so it's left off most EX dvds.

Jurassic Park III, Minority Report, and the Atlantis Special Edition supposedly do have the flag.

I just tried my copy of JPIII with my Pioneer VSX45TX in auto detect mode (I normally just leave it in "on") and the display does indeed say DDigitalEX, so that one works for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks