What's new

Pioneer DV-563A bass management (1 Viewer)

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Hey guys,

I know this subject has been talked about to death in at least one other thread (which I read through completely). I think I understand how the Pioneer 563 does bass management, and now I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get around this ridiculous 200 Hz fixed crossover for DVD-A.

I have a sub that has a range of about 25-150 Hz. My mains go down to about 40 Hz., center and surrounds to about 60 Hz. Here's what I was thinking:

For SACD playback, just set everything to small, sub on. I can live with the 120 Hz crossover.

For DVD-A playback, should I set just my mains to large, or everything to large? I notice that a lot of the multi-channel mixes have bass guitar in the center channel. I guess it comes down to whether I want to miss out on 150-200 Hz or 60 Hz and lower in the center and surrounds.

I didn't hear a big difference between all small and all large on DVD playback, but I will spend a little more time with it this weekend.

I know the real solution is something like the ICBM, but I'm holding off on that.

Thanks in advance.
--Nathan

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
some people have a problem wiht this player. I personally love it set to small and sub ok. maybe my ears dont require much but I see no bass problems at all. if I do I turn up the sub level on my reciever, it wont set it so when I turn off the reciever it auto goes back to original output level via original calibration. only had to do this once so far.

Mike Co

Agent
I just posted a reply to the other thread (563-A and Aria...) regarding this subject. I found that switching main and center to large, despite having small speakers, really helped with bass. My problem is putting a lot of LF into small speakers; it tends to stress the drivers and is not really a problem unless you you're really driving the system, which I like to do occasionally!
PCM solves the problem completely, but you lose the nice sound of the DAC's and of course lose surround audio altogether.
I'm still at the experiment stage to find a solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks